Redemption: The Renaissance Way

6 Commentsby   |  09.21.13  |  Second Blog Post

During the Renaissance, one of the main themes was emphasis on personal religion. This was different from the dark ages where religion was a public institution. I would classify the emphasis on personal religion as a part of the redemption. In order for one to be redeemed, they truly need to focus on their individual relationship with God. In today’s society, this is where the emphasis still lies. Not so much a strong focus of the church but a focus on the faith and religion that you share with Jesus Christ. So to us, this is an old thought.
But, to those in the Renaissance, this idea of personal religion was a new one. The people didn’t know anything different from the industrialized form of religion that they had been taking part in. This is also a part in the “redemption” of the world/society. God’s love is for his people, and the Renaissance began to put a lot of emphasis on that, and bring the focus back to the people. This was also a form of Individualism, a second major theme of the Renaissance. So together, these both are a part of the redemption story.

1. Jessica Weeden

I love that you chose to discuss an idea rather than a person, Laura Kate. The Renaissance really did provide the catalyst for traditional thought today in the U.S. I agree that the emphasis on individual religion is most like the redemption story. It would be interesting to know how the lay people of the Renaissance times would have felt about this “new” way of thinking. Would it have been something they embraced or approached with caution? I think that if I were presented with this type of thinking and it was unfamiliar, it would appeal to me, but I might fear for my salvation, asking “is this okay? Is this what God wants…?” when I haven’t known anything else. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

2. Rachel Easley

Hey Laura Kate! I thought it was interesting that you said and emphasized the point that a personal relationship with God is how one is redeemed, not through established religious systems. Like Jessica mentioned too, I enjoyed reading your blog post because it was about an ideology, and your own experience with faith, and not a specific person. During this time period the shift from a systematic and organized approach to religion was very similar to the climate Jesus was in and dealing with in regards to the Pharisees which made for a hostile dynamic in many ways. Personal faith was a breakthrough thing for this time and continues to be an important and powerful aspect of mine and many others’ lives.

3. Haley Conaway

I like this viewpoint on the Renaissance as a redemption of religion. While many of the ideas and religions practiced were not that of our faith, it did pave the way for a focus on personal relationship with God. During this time many women like Margery Kemp and Joan of Ark claimed to hear God’s voice. It probably brought about a lot more individual freedom and creativity as well.

4. Anna Pierce

I liked the was you tied personal religion from the renaissance to “redemption” I agree with your thought process on that. It was a very new thought to have a separation of religion from church. And the idea that the personal faith you have is more important than anything that a church tells you to do.

5. Nicole Flores

I really liked this idea of redemption. Many Christians have been brought up with the view of God that their parents or community have taught them. We tend to just accept others faith rather than find out for ourselves and have our own faith and relationship with God. Sometimes just going through the motions of religion can be just as bad as not believe at all. Starting your own personal relationship with God develops your own faith and that is a beautiful form of redemption.

6. Sydney Smith

I loved your post! I like how you said “In order for one to be redeemed, they truly need to focus on their individual relationship with God.” Really opened my eyes again to realized I need to have a stronger relationship with The Lord again.