2 Commentsby   |  10.18.13  |  Second Blog Post

Darwin, a British researcher, was one the most profound forces in shaping evolutionary psychology. As a remarkable scientist, he challenged the norms of his day and lay the foundation for many important scientific principles. The basis of his theories states that many behavioral commonalities, ranging from how we interact with others to how we eat our meals, have emerged in society and remained because they helped our ancestors survive to reproduce. This idea is called natural selection: a particular genetic trait gives preference to some for reproductive success. Since we each inherit literally thousands of genes, genetic mutation also plays a part in this process. Darwin was an incredible scientist and challenged the modern thought of his day in many ways. As a Christian and someone who also passionately loves science, I align with this theory strongly and think there is no reason we cannot let science and faith co-exist. The tension of that though comes when we assert in trusting God over any knowledge of this world but I also believe in evolution, too. It’s a fundamental part of nature and a basic fact of life that species change over time. Most species of animals are different now than they were hundreds of years ago, even though they are the same basic creatures as they were previously. Darwin intended to pursue a medical career, but upon switching to university his plans changed drastically. After a five year scientific expedition, he returned to England to unravel the mysteries he had seen. He compared his studies with Scripture and asserted that the Bible was not to be taken literally. I also agree with this theory and have been challenged in my beliefs upon reading this research. Overall, I am thankful for Darwin’s inquisitive mind and his willingness to question and search the world and Scripture for answers to the hard questions in life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/darwin_charles.shtml
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/151902/Charles-Darwin

1. Meredith Thornton

Rachel I love the way you walked with Darwin in the post. I can see the contradictions and the struggles they create as you try to make sense of fitting your understanding of Darwin’s findings with your religious views. I too am thankful for Darwin’s mind and questioning spirit.

2. D.J. Acevedo

I too am thankful for an inquisitive mind like Darwin. I like the way you were very thorough in your assessment of Darwin and his studies. Very good thoughts and very insightful.