Darwin and redemption

4 Commentsby   |  10.18.13  |  Second Blog Post

Darwin’s theory is largely surrounded by the redemption paradigm. The theory that animals are constantly changing to adapt to their surroundings is evidence of that. By acquiring characteristics over time to better fit the environments they are in, they are becoming more than than they were. Without the characteristics they have obtained to thrive, they would be more imperfect. It is that constant improvement on the many different species that makes Darwin’s theory fit redemption.

In the same way, we, as humans faced similar transformations. Herbert Spencer took Darwin’s theory a little bit further. While Darwin didn’t necessarily believe that evolution meant progress, Herbert absolutely did. He applied Darwin’s theory to society and it is called Social Darwinism. It is defined as the notion that if humans were allowed the freedom to compete in society, the strongest would thrive and the weakest would not. Over time humans have learned practices that are not beneficial to our kind and we have ceased such practices for the most part. We have also discovered new ways of interacting with our surroundings that are sound ways of life. By continuing to act on the good practices and avoid the bad, we are redeeming ourselves and making for ourselves a better, stronger society.

1. Rebecca McQueen

I enjoyed reading your perspective on this! My only thought would be that redemption is not necessarily something that we do.. It’s just something we receive. But I understand completely what you’re saying and I agree with it to some degree! Redemption is a process of being perfected!

2. Nicole Nelson

Tyler,

I was very intrigued when I read the first sentence of your post. Because at first thought I definitely would not pin Darwin with redemption. But I was really impressed with how you explained your ideas. I think it would be cool if you went on to explain a bit more about the “perfecting” of a species and how that relates specifically to humans and redemption. You went on a little big about it in your second paragraph, but you focused more on the idea of Social Darwinism. All in all I really liked your post!

3. Meredith Thornton

Tyler, I like the approach you took to Darwin. I’ve done a bit of reading on him and I never would have thought to categorize him with redemption, but the way you explained it totally makes sense.
    However, I don’t completely agree with what you said in the second paragraph about ceasing practices that are not beneficial to our kind. I can think of plenty of things that we know are horrible for us that lots of people still do. A prime example being smoking, over 40 million Americans smoke and tobacco use is the number one preventable cause of death.

4. Laura Kate Music

I enjoyed reading your post about the factors of Darwinism that classify it under redemption. I am not sure of where to classify Darwin under, but I can see how some would link him to redemption.

I believe that redemption is about bettering oneself and trying to be a better person. This kind of goes in line with the thought that through the generations, animals and humans are becoming better and more equipped in each of their environments.