Creation – Understanding the Human

2 Commentsby   |  10.18.13  |  Second Blog Post

In the transition to physiology and psychophysics, we can see more application of the information that was learned in the past. Previously, there was not a lot of support for psychology becoming an actual science. Many thinkers such as Galileo and Hume highlighted the limitations of studying the brain and the mind. However, in evaluating why it could not become a science, thinkers have also used this as a way of ruling out options or finding other ways to study this problem. This, in part, contributes to the emergence of experimental psychology. The mind at this point and time is still very abstract, so researchers like Ernst Heinrich Weber continued to study the more tangible nervous system instead. Many scientists like Weber assumed that there might be a connection between brain processes and mental processes.

One of Weber’s areas of interests was kinesthesis. Weber’s research contributes to our modern understanding of touch and physical sensations. In studying physical sensations, Weber conducted experiments that revealed relationships between physical sensations and judgments. His findings led to concepts such as Weber’s law, a notable contribution to experimental psychology.

Weber’s contributions as a physiologist reflect one the many methods of understanding man. This is why he fits very well in the Creation category, in my opinion. Rather than an abstract assumption scientists in this time period are getting closer and closer to understanding the human being which creates new paradigms and new questions. Personally, I find this an exciting time period in history as we watch the story of man unfold. Due of our modern understanding of psychology, some of the past philosophical ideas almost look ridiculous in comparison.  But it’s also fascinating to see our thoughts transform and unfold.

1. Jacey Ferrara

Denysha,

I also really like this time period! These philosophical ideas remind me a lot of Creation because it seems most philosophers are really just trying to figure out more about the human body and mind. They aren’t necessarily looking for how awful we suck and how we can be fixed.. it seems they are really just tapping into questions such as how does the human body even work? What all does the human body contain? What are its abilities and functions and how do those things work together or separately? I also am a fan of anything that teaches us about kinesthesis because I am a very intense kinesthetic learner! I have to stand up or lay on the floor most of the time in order to stay focused on any tasks, so I appreciate the development and understanding of kinesthesis! For a long time I didn’t understand why I had such strange tendencies so I am grateful for Weber’s questions and the things he begins to examine!

2. Kasey Morgan

I really enjoyed your post! I can definitely see the connection between Weber and Creation. I really like what you said about sensations and judgements. Your statement about going from abstract assumptions to actually understanding the human body. I think you were very insightful in this post!