The Mind is A Terrible Thing to Waste

4 Commentsby   |  10.18.13  |  Student Posts

The human mind is different from any other creature or mammal that is on earth. We have all heard that quote, but has anyone every asked why? Because it can process things in milliseconds, because it can store an immense amount of information, or because it can comprehend things like God and the universe. Obviously animals can not do what we do with our minds like talk to Christ. Animals don’t think about their actions or have deeper intention for them.

Franz Clemens Brentano was very interested in the processes of the mind not the content. For example judging, recalling, doubting, and hoping are unique processes of the mind. I believe we take these abilities for granted daily.  I appreciate how he wanted to study them. I liked that he thought oral communication was the best way. Even though these things are hard to measure of completely capture, he was on to something. The way you process things and what you process makes a big impact on your mood and how you go through life. For example, if you believe no one likes you all the things you experience or remember may line up with that. Your low self-esteem makes you a target for bullies and it reaffirms your belief.

I think this view of the mind could be categorized in the fall or redemption. God created our minds and knew how they would work or form beliefs. Based on the truth that we grasp it could either hinder us or free us. Bad news: we get to choose what we believe. Good news: We get to choose what we believe. Great news: We know who the Truth is. I believe that God programming our brains the way he did showed us how important and special the mind is, especially the human one since it does things only animals could dream of. lol (Get it?)  Don’t waste those minds of yours. They are capable of such great things!

Ps Sorry if this sounded like my last post.

1. Rebecca McQueen

I really like how you talked about self-fulfilling prophecy! It’s so true… what we believe has so much power, whether that be positive or negative! Good perspective Irene!

2. Jennifer Valenzuela

So true. Our minds are very powerful. A simple thought can lead to either destruction or something really positive, it can lead us to life or death etc. The power of choice is one that needs to be taken very seriously. God tells us to choose life, but in the end it is up to us to make that choice for ourselves. Great insight!

3. Lindsay Lowe

Irene, I liked what you said about redemption. How the human mind is influenced by God, and how he designed us to be affected. You have a positive outlook I always appreciate reading.

4. Sydney Smith

YES! Our minds are extremely powerful. As Jennifer said it can lead to destruction or something positive or even life or death. I feel bad for the animals since they don’t have the ability to just tell themselves “Hey, there’s a car coming don’t cross the road.” Lol, just makes me sad. We shouldn’t abuse our ability to have a powerful mind that was granted to us, because in the end whatever we lose in either good/bad terms we can never gain it back.