Darwinism – Creation

4 Commentsby   |  10.21.13  |  Second Blog Post

It may seem a bit obvious to saddle Darwin with creationism. The fact is, I can’t think of any place I would rather have him associated with. Darwin is most commonly known for his research on The Galapagos islands. His research opened up our imaginations and gave us great insight into a world we were greatly unfamiliar with for much of it’s existence. Darwin is also well known for his theories and ideas on evolution and survival of the fittest.

Adaptation, it seems,  has always been at the forefront of many arguments in evolution vs. creation. This is a very general statement, I am aware, but as this is a blog post I have a point. It would make sense to me we would adapt and in a sense “evolve” to the conditions around us. I have never really landed on one side of the fence or the other, but I have thought a lot about it in the past. I think limiting our capabilities as a creation is another way of putting God in a “box”. I’m not suggesting we made a step as extreme as evolving from monkeys, but I do believe God created them with as much intention as he created everything else.

This, to me, is why I would associate Darwin with creation. I think his theories hold some ground, but I also believe, in all of our research, perhaps we have taken his theories farther than even he might have. I am open to all possibilities, but the fact of the matter is I believe it is possible for us to adapt, it just seems to suggest a limit to our abilities would point to a limit in God’s capabilities.

1. Irene Anderson

D.J. I really like how you arrive at your conclusions and mention the fault you find in us taking Darwin’s view too far. Have you ever thought about the fact that we need to change or adapt is a product of the fall? I think Darwin could fall in that category as well. (Excuse my pun! lol) In the Garden of Eden everything was balanced in perfect. There was not even a need for clothes or earthquake watches etc. The did not have to even hunt their food or so ccit seems. Obviously God uses this for our good, but the fact that we have to change or adapt results from the fall.

2. Caroline Nikolaus

I agree with a lot of what you say, D.J. I have a deep respect for Charles Darwin. I also find it fascinating to imagine what exploring the Galapagos Islands would have been like, and what Darwin would have felt discovering new species and seeing a new world- definitely “opens up our imaginations.” I view him as almost an author to our imaginations.

3. Rachel Easley

DJ, I enjoyed your thoughts on this difficult subject matter. It is true that this is a complicated issue and I too find myself being on the fence in many ways as well. I loved the line where you said the limiting of our abilities limits the God we serve. It’s true that Darwin did open our eyes to plenty of wonderful things, but it’s also important for faith to fuel this discussion as well.

4. Kami Earle

DJ, I really like how you expanded on Charles Darwin’s studies and went into specifics about his research. I think sometimes we, as Christians, are quick to disregard the theory of evolution and Darwin’s ideas as all bad, when they are not. It’s important for us to recognize that some research, while not directly supporting Creation necessarily, does not particularly contradict it either.