The Collective Unconscious

2 Commentsby   |  11.01.13  |  Second Blog Post

The collective unconscious was a concept created by Carl Jung. He believed that the collective unconscious was “A deposit of ancestral experience from untold millions of years, the echo of prehistoric world events to which each century adds an infinitesimally small amount of variation and differentiation”. I believe this can relate to redemption. The entire race of humans leave something behind each generation for the next. This “something” means that our minds are not the Tabula rasa, blank slate minds. We are provided some information in our unconscious that came from the collective past to give us knowledge. This gives us more and more knowledge than the times past, possibly making us greater and greater by miniscule amounts over the years. Jung also saw it as the deepest part of our minds, one of the most important parts of our minds. He believes this because it elicits what we do naturally. The responses we have to certain stimuli are naturally born in us from centuries of experience from other people. We are subconsciously programmed to be responsive in different ways than each previous generation. This can lead us in whatever direction we, as a race, desire. However, the ultimate goal is redemption.

1. Caroline Nikolaus

It is an interesting idea to think about what all generations have left before us. I think about long ago, when stories were passed down, when skills were passed on. But I think it is true that we somehow acquire instincts or some innate feelings (like fear for certain things, or things like anger or threats) from people before us. So we should be aware that what we do now as a generation could, in fact, influence how generations way into the future act. Kind of a cool thought…

2. Meredith Thornton

Tyler I think your approach to this is very interesting, I never would have thought of it in this way at all, and I’m not sure I totally agree with you. What you are saying makes sense, but I think there is a fine line between our society progressing and learning as a whole and the idea that things our parents accomplish in life (ie, muscles, knowledge) can then be passed down to us. I loved reading your thoughts!