Gestalt – Funny Name, Serious Sandwich

1 Commentby   |  11.01.13  |  Second Blog Post

I have had a lot of time, lately, to think about the different theories and how we apply them both in counseling and in our own personal lives. Gestalt is one of those techniques and theories that intrigues me most. It is set as a somewhat confrontational technique that’s about as subtle as a train wreck. It’s quite interesting to think about how it was used when it was first developed, and how it is used now. It’s incredible because it is based on perception. What does a client perceive to be the problem, what is the client saying vs what the client’s body language is saying.

In my personal reflection I would put Gestalt with The Fall. People, especially in our western culture, don’t like to think about death or the cold fact that, just like taxes, it is inevitable. We shy away from this truth as much as possible much like we don’t like to admit when we are wrong or that we are a fallen creation. We have all fallen short of The Glory. The funny thing with Gestalt, much like life, is that it can be so abrupt and “in the face”. Which I think is necessary. I may be alone when I say this but I think we need a little more “in the face” stuff and a little less sugar coating. We must change our perceptions. I am trying not to get on a rant, but…

If we perceive there is nothing wrong with us, then we will never change. If we perceive something that is wrong, we are more motivated to make a change. This is why I connected Gestalt with the fall, it is one of the few theories and techniques that shoves us in the direction of truly coming to grips with what is really the issues in our lives. We are fallen, and the quicker we realize that, the quick we can make a change towards Christ.

1 Comment

1. Lindsay Lowe

D.J., I was amused by your comment, “If we perceive there is nothing wrong with us, then we will never change.” I suppose I’ve never heard it put like that. This is very pertinent to Gestalt psychology to be sure- philosophical. I understand why you could classify this with the Fall. Great work!