Freud and the Fall

2 Commentsby   |  11.15.13  |  Student Posts

I believe that Freud could be placed under the fall. His work on the unconscious and behavior shows what seems to be a darker side of peoples behavior. To think that sex is the main drive in human behavior avoids the point of morals and things that are not personal. I feel that this limits mans ability to sacrifice his own needs to help others. I also feel that he goes under the fall because of how little research he actually did. If he cannot prove his own works yet be so influential to the field of psychology then he should be placed under the fall. I also feel that his work on the unconscious limits mans ability to control his actions leading to the lack of free will which should be placed under the fall. Although some of his views could be placed under different categories I feel that the fall best fits freud.

1. Rachel Easley

Hey Taylor, I totally agree with your post. There certainly is a darker side to human behavior and you framed that well by discussing that sex being our main drive as slightly narrow minded. It’s interesting that you describe how “little research” Freud did since he is so well known and referenced. Thanks for your thoughtful words and response.

2. Meredith Thornton

Taylor I love what you had to say and I agree with most of it. But just to play devil’s advocate, I think it’s interesting that you said Freud belongs under the fall because of his lack of facts when faith is all about believing without proof. Also I think it’s interesting that you mentioned his views on free will when many christians believe that we are predestined to our fates and have little free will. Thank you for your perspective!