As people age, they can reach a point when they are no longer physically or mentally able to live independently. And, if you are anything like me, the thought of having a conversation with them about leaving their home probably brings a lot of emotions to the table.

I remember when my dad and aunt brought the idea of moving to an assisted living to my grandma, she flat out said “I’m not ever leaving.”

On the flip-side, when my mother-in-law discussed this with her dad, he said “Well, I can’t stay here.”

I’m sure you have your own stories of how these conversations have gone in the past as well.

If you are reaching the point where you might have to have this difficult conversation with a loved one, please take a minute to read this article on how to best approach the topic: How to Tell a Loved One They Need Assisted Living

We really liked how they recommend include the loved one in the decision making process and to make sure that you are discussing the idea of assisted living long before a major life event or health setback make them feel blindsided by the idea.