The Theology of Preaching Bibliography 2022
African American Preaching Bibliography (Braxton)
Black Preaching JAAM 6 2000 (Sensing)
Black Preaching Bibliography 2020 Sensing
Bibliography on Preaching Pauline Literature 2012
Bibliography for Practical Theology 2022
Spiritual Formation Bibliography 2018
Blog post on my top ten list for homiletics
The journal Homiletic is now available with free access here.
International Journal of Homiletics. You can find IJH‘s archive here.
Journals related to pastoral care are found here. From this site you can explore various options including the journal of Reflective Practice. Reflective Practice archives are found here.
An excellent site to access the lectionary is http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/. While many libraries have excellent online resources, I find that Vanderbilt’s library is the most user friendly.
The Wabash Center has an Internet Guide that includes a link to preaching and rhetoric. Also see Religion Online for a guide for theological sites.
Several original language Bibles are found here.
The library has a resource page. See also A Guide for Student Study & Writing.
Concise dictionaries and handbooks enable readers to quickly understand the landscape in the field. Homiletics has two excellent works.
- Willimon, William H. and Richard Lischer (eds.). Concise Encyclopedia of Preaching. Louisville: Westminster/John Knox, 1995.
- Wilson, Paul Scott (ed.). The New Interpreter’s Handbook of Preaching. Nashville: Abingdon, 2008.
There are many books that contain published sermons. See my bibliography above for the following authors: Barbara Brown Taylor, Fleming Rutledge, Peter Gomes, William Willimon, and Thomas Long & Cornelius Plantinga. However, the best ways to examine sermons is to hear sermons. Check out Duke Chapel’s website.
Luther Seminary has an excellent collection of homiletical helps at Working Preacher.
The first homiletical textbook was written by Augustine. You can read Book 4 of On Christian Doctrine here. Other valuable resources includes reading Aristotle’s Poetics as a guide to narrative preaching. See also Aristotle’s Rhetoric.
Guide to Early Church Documents or see the Christian Classics Library
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Study Congregations: Website devoted to ethnographic and congregational research.
The Association of Religion Data Archives Research Hub gives you the tools to explore recent findings and quality data in the study of religion.
- AnaBiDeut – http://anabideut.univie.ac.at/ – Searchable bibliography on various OT texts, especially Deuteronomy, compiled by Braulik and Lohfink.
- iTanakh – http://www.itanakh.org/ – Index to Internet resources for the study of the Hebrew Bibile.
- Academic Bible: a resource for textual study.
- SBL’s Bible Odyssey
- Religious Studies Web Guide – http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~lipton/ – Guide to free internet sources for the academic study of religion.
- Research Guide for Christianity – http://www.library.yale.edu/div/xtiangde.htm – Guide to information and research for conducting study in religion. From Yale University.
- Society of Biblical Literature (SBL) – http://www.sbl-site.org/ – The oldest and largest learned society devoted to the critical investigation of the Bible from a variety of academic disciplines. As an international organization, the Society offers its members opportunities for mutual support, intellectual growth, and professional development. (Discounted student membership rates are available.)
- Liddell-Scott (freely available at http://tinyurl.com/5fov4f), Digital Sinaiticus (http://codexsinaiticus.org/en/), or UBS Greek Texts (at German Bible Society), which includes NA27th (http://www.academic-bible.com/)