Thirty-three years is a long time to work at one organization, but on January 15, 2013, Ms. Jozell Brister will have spent exactly that long teaching at ACU’s College of Business.

Ms. Jozell Brister

Ms. Brister, who teaches Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, and Money and Banking, taught at Abilene High School before beginning to teach at ACU in 1980. At Abilene High, Ms. Brister taught typing and several different business subjects. However, “I never did teach accounting,” she says.

In addition to teaching, Ms. Brister enjoys reading and spending time outdoors in various capacities. In fact, she and her brother share a bass boat, which they take fishing on Fort Phantom.

“I love to go out in that boat,” says Ms. Brister. “I love to catch fish. I just love to do that.”

Another of Ms. Brister’s hobbies is walking with a group of “really fine ladies” from her neighborhood. The group includes a wide range of ages, and Ms. Brister really enjoys spending time with them. “We all walk and we know each other really well. I feel like we’re really good friends,” she explains. “We keep up with the health of their dogs and the health of their husbands.”

When asked how she spends her vacation time, Ms. Brister—unsurprisingly—spends time outside. “Well, in the summer, for years, my sister-in-law and I and my great-nephew and great-niece would go to Red River New Mexico,” explains Ms. Brister. “We’d usually stay about a week and rent a cabin up there. It was hiking and fishing, which we all like to do. My whole family likes to do that…it’s good family time.”

Ms. Brister, who is well known for her kind and compassionate heart, is famous for giving her students candy on holidays like Halloween and Valentine’s Day. The only thing better than how much Ms. Brister’s students like her is how much she still enjoys her job, even after thirty-three years.

“Well you know, when I’m in the classroom, that’s the best part,” Ms. Brister explains, a smile beginning to form. “Getting ready is not the best part…but once I’m in there, I like it. I like it a lot.”

Thank you, Ms. Brister, for all you have done and continue to do for COBA!