Johannes Gutenberg

5 Commentsby   |  09.20.13  |  Second Blog Post

The Renaissance was undoubtedly a time of incredible progress and movement intellectually, spiritually, and even artistically. During a point in history when so many things were moving forward, it only seems in natural progression that all major factors of life were being challenged in new ways. This onset of deep thinking and big questions gave rise to some of the most influential and important people we know today. Most of the accomplishments of the modern world centered and began in this time period. Based on knowledge, wealth, art and talent great minds refocused the priorities of many. Johannes Gutenberg, specifically, is someone that I admire and who fascinates me greatly. As a prominent believer in the Bible and the innovator of moving metal in the West, he was able to capitalize on modern printing techniques in Europe. His Bible was the first book to be extensively published and it quickly spread all throughout the world. By stimulating the literacy rate of many people, especially towards Scripture, he certainly has my respect. Since reason and skepticism were a vital part of this time, it is interesting and refreshing to me that the Bible was still something so pivotal to Gutenberg. As a devout Catholic, there are many parts of his faith that I disagree with but overall, I admire who he is and what he accomplished. He chose the Bible to be what he used his brilliant mind for and that is incredible. The method of printing he created is notable because it allowed not only for revolution in how books were made, but also for ensuring the rapid development in science, arts and, most significant to me, religion through transmission of texts.

faith-and-reason

1. Rebecca McQueen

I really like what you had to say about Gutenberg! I agree that he played a pivotal role in helping form the foundations of our faith by using his brilliance and devotion to create access to something so essential to the ‘everyday’ believer.

2. Zach Stromberg

Through his innovation and creation of the printing press, Gutenberg significantly impacted the kingdom of God. What a blessed and brilliant idea. He paved the way for Jesus to be accessible to all people, just by making the Bible a book that many people could own. Even with the power of the churches, and the lack of literacy, Gutenberg’s mass printing of the Bible opened the door for many people to live intimately with Jesus. What a magnificent thought.

3. Laura Kate Music

I love that you so boldly spoke about what Gutenberg has done for our lives as Christians. He truly did begin something that was impactful. I think it is undoubtedly honorable that He had such a vision of making the Holy Bible more accessible to others. And as illustrated earlier, he chose to use his position to spread the good news of Jesus.

4. Tyler McCuistion

I believe the ability to create and distribute texts rapidly is something that sped the acquisition of knowledge throughout the west. It encouraged people to learn how to read due to the abundance of works being produced. It also allowed for more questioning of existing dogma. Gutenberg’s printing press was a phenomenal invention.

5. Sydney Smith

Love what you said about Gutenburg! If it was not for him publishing the first bible, I believe the world would be a different place just in ways of how we share our faith and celebrate.