Born free

3 Commentsby   |  10.04.13  |  Second Blog Post

“Man is born free and yet we see him everywhere in chains.”

Rousseau’s ideas that man was born inherently good falls can fall into categories of the creation and the fall. You can attribute the creation part and the fall of man to the idea that Adam and Eve were created perfect, but it was when sin came into the world that they rebelled. Rousseau believed that the absence of being contaminated by society is where people can be truly free; Society is what made us bad because we learn to be unharmonious from it.  Man was born free, All men are equal.  These ideas are basic, but very influential. The idea that sovereign power is found through the people instead of through anything higher is very interesting. I do not agree with the idea that man can be harmonious without some sort of higher standard, but his idea of the “noble savage,” made me think about society in a different way. I love and agree with his ides about how education should be more about developing unique skills that are found in people individually, than learning a structured lesson. That is very forward thinking about education and it would be cool to see something of that nature implemented in the America’s school systems.Overall I think he made some great contributions.

1. Nicole Nelson

Anna,

I really like how you made the connections between Adam and Eve and Rousseau’s idea that the perfect human exists only outside of society. But at the same time, were Adam and Eve really part of a society? I would venture to say that they were as natural and in touch with nature as it can get, and yet they still fell. How would you relate this idea to Rousseau’s philosophies? Just some food for thought. But I really like how you go on to basically counter Rousseau’s ideas of the “noble savage” I agree in most aspects. I feel like you talked a lot about God creating the “perfect human” or creating man to be a “noble savage” but you didn’t really touch much on the Fall idea behind Rousseau’s philosophies. I know you stated that you believed he aligned with the Creation and the Fall; but I would like to know more about why you think he fits in with the Fall. Great post!

2. Jacey Ferrara

Anna,

First of all, I love this post! Secondly, I love how you included Rousseau’s ideas about education. I am considering teaching in my future, and I think ideals and perspectives about learning and education are very impactful. I really like how you question the idea of sovereign power found through people. I’ve never really thought of the emphasis we place on society and people as the “cause” for why some things are the way they are. I know I have often blamed things on society, viewing it as the most influential source of someone’s life. In truth, God is the highest, reigning power. And the Bible also warns that this battle is not of flesh and blood (Ephesians 6:10-20). Awesome post… has me thinking! Thanks!

3. Mengyuan Tang

I also love Rousseau’s idea about education. From his point of view, the best way of teaching is to return to nature and let children be free to follow their own curiosities. The tutor should be responsive to each one’s particular interests. This reminds me of a famous Chinese philosopher Confucius. One of his well-known educational principles is “education in accordance with individual difference,” which is similar to that of Rousseau.