Romanticism and The Fall

2 Commentsby   |  10.04.13  |  Second Blog Post

Jean Jacques Rousseau stated that, “man is born free, and he is everywhere in chains.” This correlates with the fall in so many ways. int he spiritual realm, when we are ‘born again’ only our spirit man is made whole and new. The rest of us-our minds, flesh, and souls-stay the same. Yes, we are spiritually free but because there is sin in this world as a result of the fall, we have to constantly battle to keep our flesh in line with our spirit. Arthur Schopenhauer said that, “for the world is hell and men are on the one hand of the tormented souls and on the other the devils in it…” This statement blatantly shows the world we truly live in. I would not go as far to say that it is ‘hell’ but I can see where he is coming from. Because of the fall, we live in a world that is not always beautiful and just. Everyday we are faced with challenges and trials. Even in our newness in Christ, we still have to battle to keep our ‘chains’ broken off. God did not promise us an easy life, but He did promise to be by our side through all the trials and tribulations. Romanticism also placed a lot of emphasis on passion. I see this as a characteristic of the fall. We are constantly surrounded by things that tell us that it is ok to give in to our fleshly desires and passions. Instead of thinking rationally, we give in to what gives us pleasure. This is why we must hold fast and be let the Word renew and transform our flesh and mind. The world is fallen, we are a fallen people, and we need a savior to break us free of our worldly chains every single day.

1. Irene Anderson

Jenny this was so insightful. I love how the philosophers are so relatable. The Lord said that in this world we would have trouble, but take heart I have over come the world. (John 16:33) We have the choice whether to walk in that freedom or not and some people choose not to. It’s a sad reality. We also see that with addictions and some mental illnesses as well! Futhermore, passion I think is God-given. It can be used for godly things, like a job. It just has been distorted by the fall.

2. Angela Wilson

I love that you equated romanticism with the fall. Romanticism does indeed place a lot of emphasis passions and the irrational actions and thoughts we have as humans. I would agree this is related to the fall. God calls us to not give into our flesh, just as you said, and to have self control. great insight!