Edmund Husserl and Creation

2 Commentsby   |  10.04.13  |  Second Blog Post

Husserl took the original idea of phenomenology and put his own unique spin on it. He brought in some ideas of original essences of mental processes, believing that each mental process had a basic essence, which it derived from. I think the only possible alignment that can be made with Husserl is to creation. But even then I do not think he makes any sort of blatantly obvious connections. He doesn’t make any mention of a higher power, or a belief that someone created man, but through his ideas about consciousness and mental processes I believe he shows a part of his belief that he might not even been aware he is presenting. I like the line in which it states; “…mental acts are directed at something outside themselves.” I have no idea what Husserl meant by this statement, but I take it as our mental acts, thoughts, feelings emotions, etc. are meant for something more than to just be introspective and closed off. They are meant to be expressive, and fully of ups and downs. Our mental acts are directed at something outside of themselves because they were derived from something outside of themselves. We were created fully and wholly by an all-powerful God, and because of this our mental activities are seeking him out. This may seem a far stretch, but than Husserl goes on to speak more on the idea of essences. And I think this is where the idea of creation can really be seen. Husserl believed that every mental process had an essence, but he doesn’t give an idea of where these essences may have originated from. This could be because he has no idea, or it could be because he is afraid to admit that maybe some higher power ultimately created these essences within us, giving us the ability to process things for ourselves, but ultimately being the creator of everything. Husserl goes as far as to say, that without knowing the essences of things such as perception, memory and feeling; there is no reason to perform experiments. This could mean that, without fully understanding what our Creator had planned in creating us, we cannot fully understand all our own mental processes. Because God created us, only he fully comprehends our mental essences, and thus we are nothing without his hand of creation. And finally, Husserl believed that these mental images were a way in “…which humans experience themselves, other humans, and the world.” I think this could be expanded to say; how they experience the world and how they relate to their creator.

1. Kasey Morgan

I think you did a great job trying to unravel all of the ideas of Husserl; he is a very complex writer. The idea that our mental acts are directed at something outside of ourselves because they are derived outside ourselves is one of the most interesting things I have read about this time around. I keep trying to make sense of God creating us, so he is outside of us, and he dwells in us. I think it is difficult to try and say if God is one or the other.

2. Denysha Taylor

Thank you for your honesty, and I do think that Husserl associates well with Creation. The way you describe it almost sounds like a mix between “how the universe works” and “the origin of human thought”. Both of those fall under Creation. I also agree that he might believe in higher power as well. Even an atheist has to entertain the idea that there might be a God before he rejects it. Also, the way you’ve exemplified his beliefs show a very interesting connection to whether he believed in God.