William James’ Fall

2 Commentsby   |  11.01.13  |  Second Blog Post

wjames

William James was an influential psychologist and physician who began the movement towards modern American psychology. James studied many scientific fields before becoming a longtime professor of anatomy at Harvard. In his book, Principles of Psychology, James explains analysis, introspection, experiment, and comparison- the methods to his psychological approach. These points defined the extent of knowledge of the brain in the early 1900’s. Much of William James’ works focus on the principle of Free Will, although James was probably best known for his stance on Pragmatism and Functionalism. James could be classified under the Fall exploring the facets of the human body, explicitly the brain. I believe that his focus on the human condition is exemplified by what flaws and quirks that man possesses. We can never come out of our own body and this is a weakness discovered and explained by James.

1. Nicole Nelson

Lindsay,

Your post was very interesting. I think William James is a very interesting man, and he has a lot of great ideas that he has contributed to modern day psychology. I agree with your classification of him and the Fall, in some aspects. Do you think that accepting the idea of Free Will leads to a strong connection with the Fall? Because essentially if there is free will, than humans are able to chose the path they take, and they are able to chose the path of God or the path of the Fall. What about predestination, if God has already chosen who the fallen will be, is that the same idea? I am a little confused by your last statement, that we can never come out of our own body, I would love to know more about what you mean. But really great post all around!

2. Meredith Thornton

Lindsay I really liked all the information in your post, but I don’t really understand exactly what you’re saying. You have a lot of great information, but I wish you had explained the connection to the fall a little more in detail. I’m kinda with Nicole I think in my confusion, I don’t quite understand what associates free will with the fall. Would love to hear more!