A doctor may refer you to a specialist if a condition requires further evaluation. When visiting a specialist, it is important to ask questions if areas are left unclear. If the specialist gives a diagnosis that you are unfamiliar with, ask the doctor to explain it and how it will affect the body.
Questions to ask the specialist:
- What is my diagnosis?
- What treatment do I need?
- Can you discuss the condition with my primary doctor?
- When do I need to begin treatment?
- What are the necessary steps I should take?
- Do I need any more referrals?
- How will this affect my day to day life?
Source: National Institute on Aging