Written by Ainsley Mullins 

I wanted to do this topic because I am a psychology major and want to understand more about the mental health of aging adults. Mental Health concerns have always been very interesting to me which is why I am pressuring it as my career. Using the interest of my career and putting it into this class is what I wanted to do for this class, so now I am going to use that interest for this journal. With this, I believe that understanding mental health is so important especially in older adults. Being able to understand this allows us to better understand the well being of older people and how we can be there for them as helpers and support. 

Mental health concerns among aging adults present a ton of challenges that demand increased attention and support. As individuals traverse the later stages of life, they often encounter significant life transitions, such as retirement, loss of loved ones, and declining physical health, which can exacerbate feelings of isolation, depression, and anxiety. Moreover, cognitive decline and conditions like dementia further compound these challenges, impacting not only the individual but also their caregivers and families. Yet, despite the prevalence of mental health issues in this demographic, stigma and societal misconceptions often hinder open dialogue and access to appropriate care. Consequently, there’s an urgent need for tailored mental health services, community-based programs, and initiatives aimed at destigmatizing aging-related mental health struggles, fostering resilience, and promoting overall well-being in older adults.

While I was researching this topic, I found an article that presented well written information on this topic. According to this article there was great information on treatment and care on how to take care of older people while having mental health issues. Discovering an article that provides well-articulated insights into the treatment and care of older individuals grappling with mental health issues is incredibly valuable. I found an article on mental health research that provided me with this information. The Article quotes that “we should follow standards for integrated care for older people, which is community-based and focused on both the long-term care of older adults living with mental health conditions and declines in intrinsic capacity, as well as the education, training and support of carers” 

Overall, mental health is something that caregivers must pay attention to, and with this article that I have presented and the information given, I hope to have a better understanding on how to take care of older people. 

“Mental Health of Older Adults.” World Health Organization, World Health Organization, www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/mental-health-of-older-adults. Accessed 20 Mar. 2024.