The Faculty Development Committee invites eligible faculty to apply for the Faculty Enrichment Summer Stipend Awards.
Description of Program
The goal of the summer stipend program is to encourage teaching excellence at Abilene Christian University through the following objectives:
- Promote the exchange of ideas about the art of teaching.
- Research and develop new methods of teaching, evaluation, and assessment in the learning process.
- Support faculty in maintaining the highest standards of knowledge and practice in their chosen fields.
- Integrate new technologies effectively into the learning process.
- Expedite curriculum innovation and development.
- Encourage development of international educational interests and multi-cultural perspectives. In doing so, the Faculty Development Committee hopes to identify teachers who have the potential to make a lasting impact on their students, colleagues, and disciplines and to support them at critical stages in their quest to maintain excellence.
The Faculty Development Committee solicits project proposals that demonstrate value to individuals and their colleagues and the teaching/learning process. These projects may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Transform courses, integrating Christian values, developing service-learning components, or incorporating multicultural perspectives in courses.
- Research and implement new teaching methods, pedagogical innovations, or assessment strategies.
- Integrate technology into the curriculum and assess its effectiveness (preparing computer modules to support classroom assignments; developing software for classroom use).
- Internationalize a course (possibly in conjunction with a study abroad experience).
- Update in a field that has developed or changed significantly, integrating new areas of study into your current areas of teaching.
- Allow faculty members to attend intensive regional or national workshops, whose focus is on academic or teaching topics, then implement the innovations in the curriculum. Applicants must be willing to participate in faculty enrichment forums the following year to disseminate the results of their work. All proposals should demonstrate an adherence to the mission statement and goals of Abilene Christian University.
Five summer stipends may be awarded each summer. The amount of the stipend will vary according to recipient’s rank and will be the equivalent of teaching two summer courses. During the year following the stipend, recipients will make a presentation to the faculty based on their scholarly work.
- All full-time, tenure track faculty are eligible to apply. Preference will be given to applicants who have not received a summer stipend in the last three years.
- Applicants engaged in work applicable to a terminal degree are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants cannot hold a Faculty Enrichment Summer Stipend and a Cullen Research Grant or Math-Science Grant during the same summer.
- Recipients cannot teach more than one three-hour course during the summer of their stipend award.
- Active members of the Faculty Development Committee (FDC) are not eligible to apply.
Eight copies (8) of the completed application are due in the Adams Center by 5 p.m. on the second Friday of November. The Provost will announce Summer Faculty Enrichment Fellows for the following summer by early December. All proposals must be signed by the applicant’s chair and dean. The FDC reviews the applications and makes recommendations to the provost.
Download application form: PDF
Applications are also available in the Adams Center for Teaching and Learning.