The Good Life?

0 Commentsby   |  01.23.13  |  Student Posts

Whenever I think of the good life, I debate the validity of the Christian definition versus the worldly definition. If one were to explore the church definition of the good life it would be surrounded by good deeds, good people, and a devout life. An example of this would be helping those that are in need, volunteering to help the poor or the hungry. You would also be a church-goer and then surrounded by a good church family. It is often said that the people around you are a big impact on what you do, so a good life would be surrounded by good people. Lastly, to live a ‘good’ Christian life one would follow the rules that are laid out by the Bible. Then I internally debate whether following these things will really lead to the ‘good life’. I believe that there is definitely some validity in this version of the good life. Not only would this raise your attitude spiritually, I believe it could raise a person’s self esteem by surrounding themselves with positive influences.

The worldly good life is somewhat the opposite. In the view of the world one would live the good life if you are surrounded by you’re rich, surrounded by your friends, and partying all of the time. I believe there is also some benefits to this version of the good life, though satisfaction is rare. The saying goes that “money cannot buy happiness” but I believe that in some ways it can. Our society has elevated the celebrity life for many years. As each of us strive to reach this ‘celebrity’ status we think that there is a point that we will reach and be satisfied with the amount of wealth or fame that we have. However I believe that there is always a desire for more and more, and the point to which satisfaction is achieved will never be reached.

So my thoughts on the good life is to live life to its fullest, helping others, and doing your best, all the while surrounding yourself with Christ and other upstanding attitudes to help you on your journey.