Gestalt and Redemption

8 Commentsby   |  11.01.13  |  Second Blog Post

Gestalt therapy is holistic, focusing on the whole of the person in order to be understood. The therapist does not simple view the client as sick or in need of interpreting or fixing, but develops a relationship that the client can find comfort in so they can interpret their experiences themselves. Gestalt therapy stresses factors such as authentic dialog, gentleness, and presence to help client gain awareness of their experience.

Gestalt therapy reminds me a lot of the concept of redemption. God sees each one of us from a holistic perspective where we are made up of much qualities and desires of this world. He knows that we need to people, love, and him to feel joy in our lives. He knows our mistakes, our successes and our hearts. Through his gentle and loving  presence in our daily lives, and his word, he gives us awareness that there is more than this world alone. He provides comfort to redeem us from our confusion of this world and to become aware of his great love. Gestalt therapy uses the same concept of awareness to redeem clients from their confusion of their being.

1. Matt McMahon

I like the comparison of Gestalt therapy to redemption. I think the connections you made make sense. I really like many of the practices of gestalt therapy and agree that many of them make sense in a Christian therapy setting as well.

2. Rebecca McQueen

I agree, I liked this view. It makes sense that the Holy Spirit is called the Counselor 🙂

3. Hillary Richardson

I really like that you compared this to our relationship with the Lord. I totally agree that this concept fits redemption. This type of therapy is a great way for clients to have a relationship, that they possibly never even had before.

4. Savannah Wesley

I really liked this being put under redemption. God truly does view us in our entirety, not just individual parts. If that were so, honestly there would be no room for redemption in my opinion.

5. Kasey Morgan

Nicole, I really enjoyed reading your post! I think you are very correct to put Gestalt therapy under redemption. I think it is very interesting that when we look to help people, we are usually looking at them as if they are broken and need fixing. I think you are right to say that this therapy helps them find a stable relationship in which they can find their own experiences and hopefully begin a journey of transformation for.

6. Maddy Spell

I love you connection of Gestalt to redemption. I don’t know why I had not thought about counseling being a self redemption. The mind is what needs to seek redemption after the fall, even when religious aspects are not involved. The practice of mental health is very important in transforming the person you are.

7. Laura Kate Music

Nicole, I think that you had a great point that Gestalt therapy can be linked to redemption. I like that you chose to link those two, especially based off of the relationship between the counselor and the patient.

8. Sydney Smith

I love the connection you made between gestalt therapy and redemption. It is very important that you build a relationship between therapist and patient, you have to build the trust in order to open up between each other.