Behaviorism as Creation

6 Commentsby   |  11.15.13  |  Second Blog Post

Behaviorism at its most basic level is about creation. It seeks to explain how we came to be the way we are.  You can see this theme in the work of all the major behaviorists including Pavlov, Watson and Skinner. However, behaviorism also seems to have a very different perspective on how our own personal creations happen. They do not see human personality shaped by a god or anything like that but instead see it, at least in Skinner’s view, as people who are shaped purely through their experience. He believes that every single quirk or thing that can be observed in a person has behavioral roots. Some experience caused it. Behaviorism also is concerned with creation in the sense that in use during therapy it can be used to create new behaviors as a way to change old less functional behaviors or habits.  Skinner liked to show how using his methods he could create behaviors in pidgeons such as teaching them to turn in circles or made  pidgeons with gambling addictions. He believed that these lessons could and should also be used on humans. This may cause some ethical problems but even so does not negate the fact that it has often proved to be an extremely effective way to do therapy in many cases.

1. Jacey Ferrara

Matt, I agree that behaviorism can teach us about creation. In one sense behaviorism is trying to identify why we are wired the way we are based on our experiences, reinforcement, etc. I do think that informs us of the way we are created. I can also see how behaviorism is related to maybe new hope/new creation in a therapy setting. Behavior therapy attempts to change certain behaviors and attitudes and it can help transform someone’s life. I’m glad your post on behaviorism! I think it’s fascinating. Thanks!

2. Jessica Weeden

Matt, I find you classification of behaviorism within Creation interesting. Your explanation makes sense after reading through it. I would have classified it under Redemption for the purposes if behaviorism found in therapy. Asa. Method it doesn’t mess with the pass, like it’s forgiving and moving on. Then it seeks to reestablish a level of healthy functioning for the future. Thanks for your thoughts!

3. Mengyuan Tang

I agree with you that behaviorism fits the category of Creation and explains the way we are. Skinner believed the environmental influences on behaviors but rejected the internal causes of behaviors. Although behaviorism is not as popular as in mid 20th century, Skinner’s work of operant conditioning and operant techniques remain very important today

4. D.J. Acevedo

This post was a pleasant surprise, I would not have seen the possibility of classifying behaviorism with creation. Very informative post, and honestly, you have given me enough to think about for the rest of the night!

5. Laura Kate Music

I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on behaviorism and creation. I would not have thought to classify those two together. I would generally classify behaviorism under new creation or reformation. But I can definitely agree with your reasoning behind creation. Especially Because the are no external influences like you talked about.

6. Hillary Richardson

I love that you compared behaviorism to creation. Creation is all about where we came from and how we started, it seems like that is how behaviorism defines us. We are created with our different attributes and that forms is into the people we become!