Hello, ACU Art and Design – This is what I do!

Children's 1

Well… I am fortunate enough to have a job that I love, where I get to do lots of different things, and where each day varies from the next.  American Art Resources is an art-consulting firm based in Houston, TX, working exclusively with the healthcare industry, with the basic philosophy that art heals.  We strive to provide healing and comfortable environments for patients, staff, family, and visitors.  Hospitals can be scary, intimidating places, but with the use of artwork, one has a likelihood of feeling at ease and can take his or her mind off of the current situation.

Colorful wall

Our company is completely turn-key – from marketing to installation – we do it all!  We even have a research department studying the effects of artwork on people in hospitals.  My job as a Project Coordinator in the consulting department, involves daily communication with clients, including CEO’s, architects, interior designers, project managers, and art committee members.  I treat each project uniquely, paying special attention to budget, theme, timeline, art placement, desired media, finishes, and the client’s wants and needs.  Once the consulting aspect of the project is complete, I oversee the production of the custom-made frames as well as the installation.childrens 2

My team and I recently completed Niswonger Children’s Hospital in Tennessee.  The client wanted to focus on community involvement and interest in the new facility.  I spear-headed numerous children’s art workshops in their service region in order to obtain community produced children’s artwork.  We accumulated over 1,000 pieces and were able to install about 250.  Many of the pictures shown in this posting are of this particular project.  I am currently working on Texas Children’s Hospital here in Houston, as well as other projects around the United States.

Kites

Like I said, my job is very entertaining as well as purposeful.  I couldn’t imagine a better job!