In 2016, GlobalGiving is seeking applicants to our Fellows Program to help further our mission and ambitious growth plans. Fellows will have a unique opportunity to learn how a thriving, international NGO operates. As a fellow, you will get hands-on, practical experience with the nuts and bolts of our operations and ample opportunities to explore the broader field of development. The program is a highly selective, full-time service year that will challenge and inspire you, but also require hard work and dedication. You will have the opportunity to explore various areas that interest you, so you can capitalize on your experience. You’ll be a vital contributor to our team, not getting coffee or filing papers all day long. In return, we offer a $24,000 stipend, health insurance, professional development funding, a 401K savings plan match, tons of learning opportunities, ample delicious goodies in our Free Food Spot, and an amazing experience!
Here’s a little taste of the kinds of experiences you might have as a GlobalGiving Fellow:
- Field trips to local (or even international) NGOs to experience and understand our collaborative work more richly.
- Skill-building workshops and a speaker series to develop frameworks and build your knowledge base around international development, technology startups, social entrepreneurship, philanthropy, disaster response, and crowdfunding.
- Departmental rotations and shadowing opportunities with our executive leadership to learn about strategic planning and decision-making processes.
- In-depth research and analysis projects around a particular issue area.
- Training on experimentation, workflow, and querying tools such as Salesforce, Optimizely, MySQL, and Desk.com.
- Career prep and professional development including mock interviews and resume review. Previous fellows have used their professional development funds to take coding classes and learn French!
- The ability to extend your program one month to visit organizations domestically or internationally.
GlobalGiving’s mission is to catalyze a marketplace for ideas, information, and money that democratizes aid and philanthropy. We believe that good ideas come from anyone, at any time, or from anywhere, and we’re committed to supporting the people who have the best ideas about how to change their own communities. As the world’s first crowdfunding platform, in 2002 we set in motion a virtuous cycle of good. How do we do it? We work with nonprofits, individual donors and companies to enhance the effectiveness of locally-driven organizations in hundreds of communities. To date, we have supported more than 13,817 projects with $206,805,095 of funding from 506,186 donors across 165 countries around the world… and we’re still growing!
You’ll have the unique opportunity to be part of the GlobalGiving Fellows Program. We’ve had an internship program for years (see how it’s been rated on Glassdoor.com), and we are wrapping up our first year of the Fellows Program.
Graphic Design Fellow
The Graphic Design Fellow will be mentored by our Senior Graphic Designer and will be tasked with helping us increase our impact through better design. They will become a member of our Product team—a mix of developers, designers, and communicators who bring a multidisciplinary approach to design and web development. Candidates with experience in graphic design, a passion for making sites that delight users, and a desire to continuously improve their work are encouraged to apply. Specifically, the Graphic Design Fellow will:
- Conceptualize, design, and execute designs for media that includes web, email, social media, presentations, print collateral, brochures, apparel, video and more.
- Collaborate with the marketing and technology team to continually improve our user engagement, conversion rates, visual storytelling, and branding.
- Apply user interface (UI) design and user experience (UX) principles to create modern web pages that are intuitive, functional, and beautiful.
- Assist our team with production of emails, landing pages, social media posts, print materials, and other media as needed.
- Work with a close-knit team of developers in an Agile/Scrum environment to transform business requirements into wireframes or high-fidelity mockups.
- Gain experience and up-to-date knowledge of graphic design best practices and the state of web design, sharing knowledge and implications with the rest of the team.
Who we are looking for
We offer five different areas of focus for our fellows, each requiring specific qualifications. But overall, our fellow selection process is rooted in our values-driven approach to work. We seek candidates who subscribe to our core values and are therefore:
- Always Open: Believing that great ideas can come from anyone, anywhere, at any time; approachable and humble, demonstrating sincere appreciation for others and their ideas.
- Never Settle: Questioning the status quo wisely, and challenging self to achieve high goals and expectations.
- Listen, Act, and Learn (Repeatedly): Demonstrating curiosity about the world around us, and bringing that curiosity into GlobalGiving; experimenting fruitfully, utilizing both success and failure productively; leveraging data and feedback to make better decisions.
- Committed to WOW: Embodying a spirit of service with customers (internal and external), and delighting in opportunities to interact with them.
In addition, candidates must:
- Be in the game. Passionate and interested in international development and subscribed to the GlobalGiving approach.
- Be an achiever. Prove demonstrated standout achievement among your peers.
- Be adaptable. Perform well in changing environments, with a palpable desire to do what it takes to improve and develop.
- Be an effective collaborator. Proactively maintain relationships in ways that are of mutual benefit to you and the other person.
- Be a linear, yet creative thinker. Accurately link cause and effect or correlation to generate relevant, innovative solutions to problems.
- Be able to execute. Set, track, and complete goals without the need for last minute heroics. Anticipate possible delays and plan around them to maintain ownership and accountability for meeting objectives with high quality and timeliness.
The Fellows Program is a full-time work commitment that will begin June 1, 2016 and run through June 30, 2017.
Recent college graduates, career switchers, former interns, and anyone who has a passion for what we are doing is encouraged to apply! Applicants must have U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent residency.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
A stipend of $24,000, paid semi-monthly, will be offered over the course of the 13-month program.
Health insurance, 401K savings plan match, educational assistance, paid time off, professional development funds up to $500 over the course of the program, access to our marketplace of discounts with companies, and commuter benefits.