Running App- Reflection

0 Commentsby   |  04.20.12  |  Reflection (P4)

Technically I dont feel like I created this app in the most efficient way possible. After nearly completing the app one of my peers showed me many more efficient ways of doing things such as adding gradients to buttons and making them pixel perfect. There is a photoshop document that has all the iphone buttons and elements allowing the designer to quickly create buttons that are similar to the existing interphases of the iphone. In the future I will do more research in order to find more efficient ways of creating the visual elements.

Conceptually I needed to think deeper into the user experience in the running section of my app. I focused too much on making it visually appealing but not enough on how it would work exactly. I think a big disadvantage on the project for me is time. I feel like if i were given more time to invest in my concepts that would be an advantage, especially for someone who is still new to working in photoshop.

I have improved in my photoshop skills although they are still a little rough. I do believe my wireframes are much more detailed, as are my sketches allowing me to get a better idea of what the app might look like before i create it. I think the biggest improvement I can make in the future is doing some more intense research on existing apps and how they function. I also need to get better at photoshop and organizing my files into groups and subgroups.

Overall I really enjoyed this assignment and I could see myself designing apps in the future, it is interesting to reflect on what seems to be the most important thing about an app, the personal and individual experience the user has with the application. Its a different way of thinking, this app has direct exposure to the user and for often prolonged periods of time, thats a great thing. Knowing that you as a designer can have this direct influence on so many people really makes these apps and the fine details that much more important.