Blog Post #3 Evolutionary Psychology

1 Commentby   |  03.05.13  |  Student Posts

Evolutionary psychologists attempt to explain human behavior in terms of evolution. It may be true that we choose mates based on what our ancestors have deemed as desirable physical characteristics. Altruism may simply be a behavioral adaptation. Compassion may have evolved to encourage the protection and nurturing of our offspring.

But does the evolutionary source of our behavior matter?

Knowing the origins of our behaviors does not necessarily reveal a key to fixing behavioral abnormalities. Evolutionary psychology assumes that science is the only way of truly knowing. As a human with feelings, thoughts, values, and religious beliefs it is difficult for me to accept this.

Is this an effective method for understanding our bodies?

Undoubtedly the answer is yes. Science is paramount in explaining our capacity to reason and hold various principles and beliefs. In my opinion, science and evolutionary theory cannot explain these principles and beliefs themselves. Francisco J. Ayala states that, “science has nothing decisive to say about values… nothing to say about the meaning of life and its purpose; and nothing to say about religious beliefs.” In other words, science is not the only way of knowing and learning. For example, science cannot explain the origin of the physical laws of the universe. These laws were not man made or evolved, they simply exist.

The evolution of the human race is an important piece of the puzzle to examine and attempt to understand, but it is important not to stop there. I believe that, in the field of psychology, focusing on human behavior in relationship with modern society would be more useful.

1 Comment

1. Justin Dugger

Paige, the statement that I most agree with is “Evolutionary psychology assumes that science is the only way of truly knowing. As a human with feelings, thoughts, values, and religious beliefs it is difficult for me to accept this.” This too was troubling for me. It seems like evolutionary psychologists are reducing humans to a simple organism that has no complexity. The emotions and thoughts do not matter. This is the biggest problem to me.