Raymond Lowe: Blog #3 – EP

4 Commentsby   |  03.06.13  |  Student Posts

I thought that the concept of Evolutionary Psychology has a lot of merit, but that it lacks in other areas. The best example that I noticed came from last classes reading. My article said, “Evolution may explain our capacity to hold these principles [systems of morality and meaning and purpose] and beliefs, but it does not explain the principles and beliefs themselves. This was an important explanation for me, because it gave up the idea that the theory was perfect. Plus, it is an easier way to explain and understand the idea of what Evolutionary Psychology is and what is has to offer. Knowing the evolution of the brain and how it developed is critical, but understanding that it does not explain the evolution of thoughts, which adapted from different times, cultures, and races, is just as crucial. As psychology continues to advance, then maybe someday thoughts can be integrated into Evolutionary Psychology in a way that is both logical and rational. But for now, we must suffice for the current state of EP.

1. Grant Williams

I agree with a lot of the points you made in your post. The concept of evolutionary psychology does have a lot of merit, but I also liked that you granted that it has its share of limitations. I think I liked your last point best, where you said that “for now we must suffice for the current state of EP.” I would agree that in the future, we will come to understand and explore evolutionary psychology further. But for now the current state of evolutionary psychology will indeed have to suffice.

2. Emily Bibb

Raymond,

I like how your article explained the current status of Evolutionary Psychology. It is not a perfect theory; but it does have some positive regard, in that the study of evolution is an important part of the advancement of science. I agree that knowing the capacity and functions of the brain, for example, is important, but that EP is not effective in explaining the principles and beliefs that our brains contain. I like that you approached this theory in a constructive, yet criticizing way.

3. Gavin Lane

I found some interesting information in the articles we read too. The article I read said that all moral things were driven by evolution. I was in agreement with the author when she talked about reciprocal altruism being advantageous and therefore evolutionary but when she tried to justify free will being evolutionary we disagreed. She said that a snail who chooses his sheel to attract a mate is exercising free will in his choice. To me that seems like instincts. Good tie in to the article Raymond!

4. Avia Gray

Evolutionary Psychology can be helpful, but I agree that culture has more to do with the evolution of our minds today. It could be that we have evolved so much, that being able to trace which psychological processes came from where across all cultures could be virtually impossible. And maybe one day we’ll have the technology to do that, but as you said, we’re just going to have to be content with were we’re at right now.