Self-Titled EP: Blog 3

2 Commentsby   |  03.05.13  |  Student Posts

Evolutionary psychology is a field of thought that has tendrils reaching into many other fields, although it is questionable how applicable evolutionary theory really is to some of those fields. An example of an issue that many feel evolutionary psychology does not have anything reasonable to say is religion. Although I do believe that evolutionary psychology, in congruence with social evolution, implies and explains many things relevant to religion, I do have a few questions regarding some of the conclusions people occasionally arrive at, as well as the steps they take to reach those ends.

One specific question I have is in relation to the idea that people act selfless and moral in order to gain approval from potential mates and society as a whole. This idea leads fairly directly down a logical path to the explanation of religion as just an organized example of that evolutionary trait, as do other ideas. However, I see evolutionary theory as completely incapable of explaining most religions, especially those with strict moral codes. For example, in Islamic traditions, cowardice is heavily frowned upon – which makes sense from the perspective that prioritizes the benefit of society, but not at all from a personal genetic standpoint. Similarly, Christian views hold that a man should have only one wife, and vice-versa. This could not have developed from an evolutionary basis, as the goal of a male from the evolutionary stand-point is to have as many mates as possible.

I am not saying that the existence of these moral codes disproves evolutionary psychology, far from it. I just think that if evolution were all that guides our behaviors, these religious traditions would never have developed. Therefore, there must be something else going on as well.

1. Ana Rodriguez

I completely agree with you. I think that there are many questions that humans ask that are out of the range of somethings science can answer. Empirical evidence cannot answer the question of faith. It hasn’t been able to answer it all this time, and it wouldn’t be real faith if we could prove it. Especially in regard to religion, evolutionary psychology can perhaps answer some tendencies in why we seek religion as humans such as a need for hope or a reason to continue living. However when it comes to values such as laying down your life so others may live, that becomes hard to answer.

2. Tyler Lotz

I agree with you, though i think that saying the evolutionary explanation of altruism and religion go hand in hand is rather pushing it, as evolutionary psychology splits in these two areas in several big ways. Now that its MY turn to be the devils advocate again 😛 I think religion is too broad and also too sticky to try to ever explain with evolutionary psychology. PErhaps its just me thinking of evolutionary psychology from the perspective of an empiricist but i scoff at almost every hypothesis of mans evolution that tries to explain something as complicated as religion