Project 3 Reflection

0 Commentsby   |  03.24.12  |  Project 3

During this project, my main idea was to do something that I hadn’t in the past two. I wanted to incorporate a retro feel and a strict grid system to my already existing hand-lettering. I think I accomplished this, but might have missed out on some other opportunities.

As far as strengths, I think my look and feel really came together nicely. I like the aesthetic it bring and its uniqueness. I also liked how my hand-lettering played into the retro feel of the design. You mostly don’t see the two genres mixing that much (that is, 90s computer graphics and distressed, classical lettering). I also really liked the idea of only having one accent color, the rest being in black and white. I think this complimented the typography and retro feel very nicely.
I didn’t get that much critique on this project so I am not completely sure what all the weaknesses are, so bear with me. I think there might be some odd hierarchy in parts of my design. This can maybe be seen in the top of the middle section of the categories page. Along with the categories, Mallory helped me work out some spacing in each categories box, but it may still be a bit tight. I wanted it to be a bit stuffy, but obviously not too much. I also think one of my weaknesses also could have been that I didn’t experiment with many other directions. I had an idea, and ran with it! Hopefully it worked.
Technically I was much more satisfied with this project than the past two which hopefully means I’m getting better at the whole photoshop web design stuff. At first, I would have an idea and it would take me forever to execute it. This time I felt more confident and able.

In general overview though, this was my favorite project. I mostly don’t like extremely open-ended projects, but this one came out good in my opinion. I liked being able to create a specific idea and then execute it. I say this meaning, I liked building from the bottom up. No redesign, not model or preconceived plans, just creating something new and unique. It was definitely a learning experience and hopefully a portfolio piece!