Reflection – Evan Marks

0 Commentsby   |  05.09.12  |  Reflection (P5)

This project was one of my most successful for the semester. I had all the elements ready (for the iphone mockups), I felt more than capable in Photoshop, and I had my wireframes to guide me. It all played our really fantastically. Photoshop is still a pain, but I feel like I can work with it now, without fear of causing some catastrophic mistake, or spend hours designing in the wrong DPI. It’s become a lot more usable, and it’s great.

Technical Mistakes: My biggest flaw with Photoshop right now is that I’m disorganized. Much like my actual desk at home, my PSD files hold layers and layers of untold content, none of it organized or named. Any attempts I make at cleaning it up only lead to frustration and anguish, and I quickly give up and let the disorganization take over. And honestly, as nice as it looks to have named, color-coded, and alphabetically organized folders and sub-folders, it doesn’t really hamper my work. One day I will learn.

I had a different approach when it came to this App (InfographX). From the start, I was intrigued by the possibility for randomness, for the benefits that come from a complete lack of user input (or I guess unknown user input, since the graphs tracks everything the user does). Being able to pick and choose topics or turn specific graphs into posters is nice, and for some apps it would be a necessity, but for InfographX, I felt like the most rewarding experience was that of total randomness.

This was a really fun project, and I really enjoyed designing for it. This App and the previous one will (hopefully) both be really good and unique portfolio pieces for the future. Thanks Mike!