The Good Life

1 Commentby   |  01.20.13  |  Student Posts

There are multiple factors that contribute to my definition of what comprises a “good life.” On the superficial level, having a roof over my head, food on my table, a bed to sleep in and clothes on my back make my life pretty good. However, if all that was taken away from me and I was left with only the ones I love and my faith I would still consider myself to have a good life. Happiness is what I believe constitutes a “good life.”

Surrounding myself with people who love me for competitive-athlete-with-a-goofy-sense-of-humor-who-is-fluent-in-sarcasm-personality that I am is of great importance to my happiness. Love is a powerful emotion; it makes us consider crazy feats and has us risking our lives so that another may live. The best room in my parents’ house is the kitchen; it is the heart of their house. We eat meals as a family, we always have, and meals have always been at least an hour long. While we are eating, we are catching up on each other’s days; talking, laughing, sharing jokes and fun facts, we enjoy simply being in each others presence and feeling the love of a family unit. When my friends and I plan to get together, we have a difficult time deciding what to do because we are more preoccupied with the fact that we all get to hang again rather than focusing on the actual activity. I have a sense of belonging with the ones I love; I know they continue to be in my life because of the friendship and support I can bring to the relationship, not the materialistic value I can offer them.

It is through the loving eyes of my family and friends that I am reminded of the Maker who created me in His image and of His love for me. Faith and religion are another important factor to having a good life. I am not specifically stating that Christianity is the key to a good life, but having a higher power or a higher being is part of having a good life. For me, God is my higher being. Part of my belief is that I am put on Earth to love and accept others for who they are, regardless of race, ethnicity, SES class, religion, sexual orientation or political party. My belief is that it is God’s place to judge, and it is my job to love. My faith allows me to keep an open mind when meeting new people; I get to hear their story without any bias. I know the bible says homosexual activity is a sin, premarital sex will get you sent to hell, and that divorce is a no-no. But those offenses are not against me, and therefore I have to reason to hold them against a fellow human. I believe God has a relationship with all people, and He will judge that relationship when their day comes.

Having a healthy mind to navigate the confusion of life helps create a “good life.” For me, love from family and friends and the belief in a loving God keeps me oriented on the bigger picture of life: happiness.

1 Comment

1. Madison Hudson

I really like your thoughts and beliefs on the “good life” and your example of eating with your family. I think that’s rare these days to have family meals for an hour long where there’s no sense of urgency but to enjoy each other’s company. You also wrote that when you get together with friends, it doesn’t matter what you do as long as you are with each other you are happy. That’s an awesome state of mind to be in and so many people take those moments for granted. Sound like you have great perspective and experience in living a life to “love and be loved”!