Blog Post #3

2 Commentsby   |  03.05.13  |  Student Posts

Defining evolutionary psychology is like trying to define evolution. I take that back. You can decide to discard evolution altogether, but it is impossible to ignore the study of evolution, because regardless of whether you believe in evolution, you cannot ignore the fact that someone is studying it. Well, you could ignore that I suppose. It’s up to you. What you do is your choice.

Evolutionary psychology irks me for several reasons:

1. It is difficult to understand what we are actually studying. A mix between ethics and biology? The synthesis of many different schools of thought. It seems difficult to separate. Do not get me wrong, I understand that all schools of thought have some overlap, they build on each other, take and give, whatever.

2. The concepts within the school of thought itself are convoluted. We got into an argument (debate) in class today about the ethics of artificial selection/genetic modification.We agree that it is unethical to sterilize humans who we consider to be a burden to or outcasts of our society. But, who gets to define what constitutes burdensome characteristics, and why, as Christians do we even consider out-casting people?

3. Proposed answers to questions only bring more questions which we then try to solve. Why are we torturing ourselves? Why do we have a problem keeping our studies simple?

4. Evolutionary psychology leads us to believe that we are able to become all-knowing people; therefore, when we know enough we will be able to breed a super race. Why do we want a super race?! If we are all perfect people we are no one. Our uniqueness is stripped. So, we should stop.

Despite my critique of evolutionary psychology I seem to support it. I donate my body and money to science, so that one day, we will be able to eliminate illness.

We are made strong in weakness. Hold your breath because this sounds terrible, and maybe it is: who am I, who are we, to take weakness away?

1. Madison Hudson

I like your honesty and boldness in this post. I have totally thought most of your points and just not said them. Your last comment about why are we trying to eliminate weakness is exactly what was going through my mind at the end of class today. Making a “superior” race without weakness would be like a slap in God’s face I feel like if we are were even able to accomplish it in the first place. I do think we live in a fallen world and illness and disease will always be around, but like you stated we are made strong in His weakness. And to expand on that it follows with “Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me”.

2. Paige Wilson

I thought your post was very interesting. I especially liked the second point that you made. Today every individual places different value on physical and emotional characteristics. Some people tend to find themselves in abusive relationships. Obviously they are attracted to individuals with certain characteristics that many would classify as negative. What is the evolutionary explanation for this? Additionally, different cultures have different ideas of what is physically beautiful.

You also bring up the issue of the desire for a “super race.” In evolutionary terms this would only be natural; however, as a human being I cannot accept this as good for a number of reasons. All of these things are very important to consider and engage.