Psychoanalytic Theory

2 Commentsby   |  04.11.13  |  Student Posts

WordPress now welcomes me with a “Howdy, Kelsey Hilton”.

What they obviously do not know is that this greeting comes with offense and irritation.

What I love about psychoanalytic theory is that I feel like I have the ability to apply it to whatever I please. Its complexity and abstractness makes it nearly impossible to prove wrong; but, let’s keep in mind that it is also impossible to prove right.

I must experience some reality anxiety at the thought of being stuck in Texas forever. The anxiety is so great that I employ several defense mechanisms to cope with it. Let us talk about denial for a minute. Texas is no longer a temporary address. Several years after I left for school, my parents moved from Colorado to Texas, leaving me with a permanent address ending with the zip code 76248. (I cannot even bring myself to say that my existence in Texas extends beyond Abilene) I have a Texas driver’s license now, but only because my parents moved. I refuse to believe that I am a true Texas resident, despite all of the evidence that points to the contrary. If denial does not work out for me, there is always identification with the aggressor. Even though I am a proud native of Colorado I have already developed a “Don’t mess with Texas” attitude. But that is really just a persona I still worry about getting sucked into the “West Texas Vortex”.

I really meant this post to be a critical analysis of some of my favorite literature (in particular: A Thousand Splendid Suns, A Million Little Pieces, and A Summer to Die), but I could not resist ragging on Texas. As displacement would have it: WordPress made me do it.

1. Lyndi Smith

The psychoanalytical theory is very complex, as you stated. I completely agree with you about how you can apply it to whatever you please. There is always an underlying meaning behind why things happen and why people do what they do. It’s actually very entertaining and interesting. I loved how you related your moving to Texas and your denial, identification with the aggressor, persona, and displacement all in your moving to Texas. It kind of put this in a term that was relatable to us. It amazing to me the things that have gone on in my life and still go on as we speak that relate to these perspectives that I have failed to notice until now. Thanks for this!!

2. Jason Hendrix

I hadn’t noticed the “Howdy” yet, but now its annoying me too. I’ve been repressing my “inner Texan” for a long time now, but I’m hoping that after years of intense therapy (psychoanalysis of course) I’ll finally be able to be at peace with it. Hopefully I can take a look at some of your reading list as well, thanks for the post