Third Force Psychology

3 Commentsby   |  04.23.13  |  Student Posts

As I have learned and gotten a taste for all of the various psychological theories throughout history, I have usually found each theory to have something about it that I simply do not like or cannot accept. However, with third force psychology I have not felt that way. To me, this theory has combined many of the theories together in order to create a theory that can be universal and that can address all of the problems previous theories had. Because third force psychology takes from the romantics the wonderful view of life and the pursuit of a beautiful one at that while at the same time juxtaposing it with existentialists who understand that life is fleeting and we all must die in the end, I feel like it gives the client and the therapist a well rounded theory to base counseling on. It does not neglect the client or degrade the client in any way but allows the client to move through therapy in their own way and time while reminding them about all aspects of life. I also love that this theory does not have to be rooted within a religious context but it still can be. As a christian and possible future counselor, I think it is important to be able to tailor your counseling to the client while still maintaining your own beliefs and convictions and I believe that third force psychology allows the counselor and client to do just that.

1. Katie Clouse

I too agree with ideas of third force psychology. I think it is very important to adjust therapy treatments to each individual and to not generalize one treatment to suite them all. Seeing that you believe adjustments should be made to fit the patient will make you a great counselor one day.

2. MaryLynn Kemp

I liked what you said about third force psychology bringing back the emphasis on the beauty of life. Many of the theories seemed so manipulative, like the counselor is on some authoritative pedestal and sees all, knows all! But I don’t want that kind of pressure or that kind of authority, and the team-work/support/journeying alongside kind of structure seems much more healthy for both the therapist and the client. This theory definitely seems more adaptable than most.

3. Justin Dugger

I agree with you as far as third force seeming to be most sound. Through this year as we have looked at the different therios I too have found positives and negatives were as this theory seems to make the most sense. I like that you mentioned this theory alows the client to move at there own pace. This seems like a very important aspect of counseling.