Project 1 Reflection

0 Commentsby   |  02.03.12  |  Reflection (P1)

This project challenged was challenging in many ways. Technically, it was difficult for me to get used to using Photoshop (as I have never used it extensively before, especially for anything other than minor photo editing). I feel that my initial design ideas were limited by my knowledge of how to perform various techniques in the software. Most of the shapes, colors, and accents that I used were ones that could be performed with fairly basic Photoshop knowledge.

Conceptually, I feel like I limited myself in fear of straying too far away from the original design of the site – which makes me feel that my final design is a bit too similar. I had another layout idea that I eventually dismissed because I didn’t think it would keep the same “feel” – but now I wish I had spent more time trying out that visual direction. I also feel like I could have improved my design if I had been able to incorporate a stronger (yet still subtle) visual language.

Throughout the process, I can definitely see areas that I improved. At the beginning of the project I was using too much exaggeration in terms of shadows, line weights, color accents, etc. Pulling back on those elements (such as the line weight of the dividers and the borders of single posts, especially) made noticeable improvements in the design. I also feel like I got better at hierarchy and negative spacing – especially when it comes to the post preview elements. When it comes to Photoshop, learning to use folders for layers was an extreme step forward in terms for feeling comfortable working in the program. If I were to do this project over again now, I would be able to produce a more compelling final design.

Moving forward, I think that I need to spend more time looking at well-designed websites in close detail, paying attention to the subtle textures, accents, and use of hierarchy and color. I also think I would benefit a lot from spending more time in Photoshop to learn how to perform intermediate and advanced techniques. In the next projects, I will try to be less limiting in terms of design directions I explore, especially in the early stages of the process.