Reflection-Project 1

0 Commentsby   |  02.03.12  |  Reflection (P1)

I wouldn’t call myself an expert at Photoshop by far. I’ve dabbled with it and created a few projects in it, but I had yet to utilize it to this extent. Technical and conceptual problems included figuring out what tools to use and when or when not to drag something from Illustrator. I found pixels to have their pros and cons; pros being you can find a point very easily, cons being the clarity of the images and level of ease of tools. I know that sketches are paramount, but countless times I find myself comping on the computer before I’ve really nailed out some ideas on paper. It’s much easier to be creative without the limits of the software tools, and then making it work within them. I had trouble with negative space as well as using the grid. I felt very locked into each line, but once I laid out my boundaries I felt more free to place images and text within those limits. Typography was difficult as well. Sticking with web safe fonts was different and deciding to create a new logo or use the current one was a challenge as well. As I dove deeper into the project I found trying new things with the layout to be easier to accomplish. I felt like my hierarchy was successful, but could still use improvement in some areas. I became more successful at organizing my layers and moving through steps faster. I found the concept of wireframes very helpful although I wish I would have harnessed it more.

I hope to continue to improve my skills in photoshop, hopefully these techniques will become second nature soon. I also need to work with negative space and challenge myself more creatively. I need to remember the importance of sketches before I’m almost done with the project. Taking this in mind I need to be more organized with my timing as well as with the process. And not spill milkshakes on my computer.