Growing up in Spain, Matias Montanes (‘23) knew he wanted to play tennis and play at the professional level. Spain is the home of great champions like current world No. 2 Carlos Alcaraz, 22-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal, former world No. 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero, and doubles great Emilio Sanchez.

It’s a country steeped in tennis tradition, and Montanes wanted to be part of it. He began playing at a young age, and by the time he was 12, he was winning tournaments and was one of the top young players in his home country. 

However, the time spent practicing took him away from other interests and made him realize that the dream of playing as a professional might not be what he wanted after all. He began to think about playing collegiately and pursuing his other dreams, like a college degree and perhaps a career as a lawyer.

That’s when he called ACU men’s head coach Juan Nunez (’09), and as soon as the two made a connection, Montanes knew he had found a new home. But two months before he was to arrive in Abilene for the start of his freshman year in the fall of 2020, he suffered a catastrophic elbow injury in a bike accident in Spain.

He came to ACU with the injury and Nunez honored his scholarship despite knowing that doctors in Spain said Montanes wouldn’t be able to play at a competitive level again. He tried to rehab the injury through the fall, but in December, he gave up tennis and began looking to return home to attend college in Spain.

But that’s when Nunez intervened and set Montanes on a path to something he truly loves: the law. As Matias explored this new road, he found mentors in faculty from ACU and COBA, especially Dr. Phil Vardiman (‘76) and Daniel Garcia (‘07). He graduated in December with a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), majoring in management with a minor in business leadership. Mattias has returned to Spain to study law in hopes that one day he can combine his ACU business degree with his law degree. 

We recently talked to Matias and asked about his time as a tennis player, his experience at ACU and in COBA, and what’s next for him. 

Q: Tell me about growing up in Spain, where you grew up, and what you wanted to be as an adult.

Montanes: I grew up in Menorca, Spain, and started playing tennis when I was four. My family and I moved to Mallorca when I was 10 because of my dad’s job. But that helped me improve my tennis game because I could practice with better tennis players and play at a good club.

Q: Growing up in Spain and playing tennis, did you have dreams of one day becoming the next Nadal or one of the other great players from Spain?

Montanes: When I was 12, I started to win Spanish and European championships. I was in the top three in Spain and maintained that level until I was 16. During that time, I beat players like Carlos Alcaraz (he’s number 2 in the world now), Arthur Cazaux (number 122 ATP right now), and Pablo Llamas (160 ATP right now). I wanted to be a professional tennis player, and that was everything I was seeing in my future. I practiced five hours per day every day of the week for six years. When I turned 17, I finally realized how hard it was to become a professional tennis player. 

Q: Was tennis always the way you planned to get your education, and how did you come to learn about ACU? 

Montanes: I had a hard-working mentality during my career, but that’s not enough. You must have something special, but I didn’t have it to get to that next level. I started to look for universities in the United States after I realized that. I had to find other goals in my life other than tennis. Tennis wasn’t going to provide me with a living. I started talking to some colleges, but as soon as I spoke with Juan Nunez, I knew that ACU was the place to go. Two months before I arrived at ACU, I had a bike accident, breaking my elbow into 18 pieces. The doctors had to put me in a cast and warned me that I wouldn’t be able to play tennis anymore. I didn’t want to believe them. I called Juan, and he didn’t believe them either. I traveled to Texas and visited more doctors. We had faith, but that wasn’t enough. I started to play tennis, and my elbow was getting worse every day. In December 2020, I decided to stop and start looking for colleges in Spain, but Juan allowed me to be his assistant coach, maintaining my scholarship.

Q: What were your first impressions of ACU and Abilene, and how did those change during the years you were here?

Montanes: My first semester, I didn’t like ACU. I came from the Catholic Church, and it was a change. I wanted to return to Spain; I had all my family, friends, and girlfriend there, but the opportunity Juan gave me was too big; one of those opportunities that only happens once in your life. Finally, I decided to stay. My tennis career changed in January 2021 when I started coaching as a freshman. As a second-year student, I began studying law in Spain, thanks to an online program. Being an assistant, attending Business school at ACU, and law school in Spain wasn’t easy, but I made it through.

Q: I know Dr. Phil Vardiman and Daniel Garcia were integral in your pursuit of a business management degree. Can you expound on how much those two men have impacted your life?

Montanes: I was lucky to have professors like Dr. Vardiman and Daniel. We made a special connection from the beginning. They knew everything I was going through and always supported me. They taught me life lessons without words but facts.

Q: What was the total COBA experience like for you, and what lessons did you learn that will stay with you?

Montanes: I learned to be a servant business leader, a lesson I will always carry. I realized how good people can be in this world. Before coming to ACU, I never thought that people like this existed. But, thanks to ACU, I know the kind of husband, dad, and son I want to become. It took me some years, but now I’m conscious about it. 

Q: How did you become interested in studying the law, and what kind of law degree are you working toward in Spain?

Montanes: I was always interested in law. If I had to choose a major in Spain, it would have been law. I saw the opportunity when I became an assistant because I wasn’t arriving home tired. I was coaching, not practicing. I think both majors (business and law) combine very well. You’d better know the law if you have your own business. 

Q: How will you use your law degree, and do you want to merge your ACU degree with your law degree in your professional career?

Montanes: I’d like to find a business job with a multinational company and see how it looks in practice. Once I graduate from law school, I will decide whether to become a lawyer or use my law knowledge in a business position.

Q: What is the one thing you miss about Texas and ACU?

Montanes: The people. I miss the people at ACU and in Texas.