FINAL REFLECTION

0 Commentsby   |  02.29.12  |  Reflection (P2)

Creating websites is hard work. Or at least using Photoshop is. I have never been as mentally and physically drained as I have after I’ve spent time working on websites in Photoshop. I know why this is: I’m still learning. But the learning process is grueling. The results however, are fun and rewarding, and I’m excited to eventually know Photoshop like the back of my hand. Speaking of results, I was fairly happy with my final comps for this project. I wanted the design, layout and color scheme to look just as appetizing as the food itself, and I feel like a reached a good spot with that. The browns and yellows echo the colors of the burgers, while the blues bring in the ‘beach vibe’ that I was trying to capture (along with some help from the photos). My font choice (a nice, soft slab sans-serif called ‘Cubano’) provided a great ‘beach-y’ feel while also being fun and playful, perfect for a burger hut. I also kept the corners of all boxes round, to match the type-choice as well as keep an overall aesthetic or soft, round, and delicious.

Whenever I found restaurant websites that I liked, they always had one thing in common: they were very simple. When I go to a website looking for food, there are only really two things I care about: what kind of food do you have, and how can I get that food. Everything else is really just filler or the Restaurant tooting it’s own horn (who really cares about the ‘about me’ page?). I wanted to capture that simplicity in my own website, but I also wanted to provide an additional reason for the website to exist. My answer was to have the website serve doubly as a menu for the restaurant, but also a blog/photo log of the local San Diego surfer scene. This gave importance to the rest of the website, as well as made the website that much more interesting (burgers AND surf?? Yes please.)

I also really focused on keeping my website on a grid structure, especially on the menu page, which really helped me keep the site simple and organized with really little to no worrying about what will fit and what wouldn’t. Because I was coming up with all the information on the site, it was especially easy to fill in blank spots, as well as take out info when I needed too.