ACU Chooses Canvas

Canvas by Instructure

It’s official – Canvas is now the enterprise learning management system for Abilene Christian University. Canvas is built in such a way that it can effectively be used for both fully-online and face-to-face courses. Tools such as SpeedGrader make grading and grading with a rubric simple. The gradebook itself is fully functional, enabling faculty to drop grades, weight grades, and a host of other sought-after features.

Canvas will not only make life easier for faculty, but also for students. Students will experience a consistent online platform for course delivery and interaction. No longer will students lament that they are using 3 or 4 learning management systems. Using Canvas as a campus-wide solution will remove many of the undesirable difficulties encountered by students who have to determine what system to use for what class, and will enable faculty to focus them on desirable difficulties inherent to learning.

This process will be gradual. A pilot group is formed and will use Canvas this Spring semester, with campus-wide implementation set for Fall 2015. Canvas offers a wealth of learning guides online. Go to https://guides.instructure.com to get started. Local training on using Canvas will be offered at various times in the upcoming months, so be sure to watch the Adams Center calendar for a time that works for you.

This entry was posted in Adams Blog, Instructional Design, Instructional Technologies, Mobile Learning by David Christianson. Bookmark the permalink.

About David Christianson

My name is David Christianson. I've long felt that teaching was my calling, and have spent my career teaching both children and adults. Many of the most important lessons for teaching adults, I learned from teaching children (thankfully behavior management is much less of a concern with adults!). I have a B.S. in Communication from Oklahoma Christian University, an M.A. in Communication from ACU, and an M.Ed. in Education, also from ACU. My work with teaching children soon grew into training adults to do the same. As I did this for the Region 14 Education Service Center, I utilized online training, face-to-face training, and distance learning (video chat) to spread the message far and wide. I value technology as a great tool to enhance learning and to address the core of how we learn. I can help with online learning, I have lots of great tricks to use in the physical classroom as well! I feel absolutely blessed to now serve as an Instructional Designer for the Adams Center. If I have learned one thing in my educational service, it is that I love helping others to learn!