Photographer of the week 08: Leibovitz

6 Commentsby   |  02.23.12  |  photographer of the week

Well, here’s a “copy & paste” from Intro to Photography’s Photographer of the week in case you missed. :)

Annie Leibovitz
One of my favorite photographers of all, for her versatile, daring and crafty style. I was able to see her exhibition: A Photographer’s Life, and many of her original prints in Paris last year.

Follow this link for the American Music series.

1. Emily McCommas

Annie’s dreams literally bring fairy tales to life. I’ve never seen a more beautiful disney series. I love the whimsicality of her work. I also love the down to earth raw feeling that I get from her other works. The lighting and attention to detail is incredible.

2. Courtney McGaha

I love this series she did!!! The shoot above and all of the others in that series by Annie Leibovitz actually inspired a shoot i did my senior year of high school for my AP photo portfolio. In that series, she takes current celebrities and put them into famous Disney movie scenes, updating the look and feel of the movie snapshots and turning them into beautiful, magical scenes. When i saw these senior year, i took the book Alice in Wonderland and did similar things, dressing up people i knew into different costumes and i illustrated the book. it’s one of my favorite photoshoots i’ve ever done, and i owe it to her!

3. Sara Beth Almquist

Annie Leibovitz has an interesting take on photography. I love her images of celebrities, because many of them become relatable through her interpretation of each individual. She also does a wonderful rendition of many childhood fairytales. These images also use celebrities as the subjects, but because the images really capture the heart of our favorite stories, I didn’t even notice that the models were celebrities until I read a couple of the captions. She does a remarkable job, and her images are spectacular.

4. Lee Anna McGee

I am a big fan of Annie Leibovitz. I have always been impressed by her work. The actual shots and the way she presents them. I was super into the The American Music series when it came out. I think she does beautiful work. I think you can see her passion alive in her images

5. Chase Martin

I agree with Lee Anna, the way she presents the composition. They are pretty great. I like that you can see movement in her work. This is something I would like to accomplish in my own work.

6. Kimmy McNiece

I really appreciate Annie’s eye for composition. Sometimes I think it’s easy to heighten contrast or change the color to catch the audience’s eye – but she doesn’t have to. In the Disney collection and American Music she really knows hos to compose an interesting image. Lastly, I may be the only one who feels this way, but I’m not a fan of the Disney series. She really did a great job casing a vision and bringing it to life… but something about seeing people’s realistic faces placed in this blatantly photoshop mystical setting weirds me out.