Photographer of the week 07: Nilsson

Tags:

6 Commentsby   |  02.08.12  |  photographer of the week

Morten Nilsson

“I find the ballroom dancers interesting because of their clothes, makeup, and in many ways their still imperfect and immature body and mind that the teenage dancer represents – put in a world searching for perfection. It is a world where the right size and measures, the right positions, grown up demands and conservatism rules. It is about basic training in being a perfect adult-a perfect gentleman or a real lady princess.” by Nilsson

1. Courtney McGaha

i love how he plays with the lighting so much that he even leaves the red-eye effect on several of his models. The lighting around the eyes almost seems to flatten and yet highlight at the same time. It’s a strange effect. The highlighting effect almost makes them look plastic

2. Bethany Hunter

It is amazing how much some of these dancers look like dolls. Some of the men in tuxes look just like a cake topper. I like that Nilsson thought outside of the box in photographing the dancers after they had finished performing. Most photographers would have wanted to take shots before the performance to get clean, crisp shots. Nilsson, however, used their sweat to create a different type of image.

3. Altheron Payne

I enjoy the lighting that is presented in this portrait that creates dramatic effects. The reflection of light in the iris reminds me of a photo that is ongoing as you zoom in. Along with the lighting and color of the eyes I believe that is the focus point. The photographer does a good job with the lighting and shadows seen on the background behind that help illumiate the subject matter.

4. Lee Anna McGee

Nilsson does a unique job playing with light and surroundings with these shots. My favourite part of these shots is the background. I think the background is what makes the image feel the way it does. It gives the dancers a plastic dool type feel as well as makes the details of the sweat/highlights in their faces more apparent. I think Nilsson discovered the key to using the background and lighting to his advantage to make several very successful shots.

5. Chase Martin

This photo is really neat. I there are many aspect in which makes this portrait great. First off is the lighting of the subject. The indirect light is kind of high to make less shadows. This is good idea, I like that you can see the boys face clearer with soft shadows. Also, the boy has what seems to be moister on his face, this gives the portrait a different element, making its composition one of a kind. They all of the dancers have this because he shot them after they finished so their bodys are sweating. I liked this and it helped me in my journey when I finished up my portraits.

6. Michael McCarty

I remember seeing this photographer a while back, maybe from advanced photography? I really enjoyed the almost eire types of pictures he produced. Capturing such a competitive sport in an unflattering light is really creative. I like how he is able capture portraits that are pretty unflattering, but still be beautiful all at the same time.