DOF: Lytro Camera

1 Commentby   |  09.10.14  |  Announcements

So this is a bit out of the realm of the basics of black and white film photography, but I thought I’d share with everyone this cool new technology.
These cameras use light-field photography and it captures light in a way that you can change the focus of the photograph after the fact. I thought this might be interesting to some after talking about depth of field in photography. Good news is you can buy the 1st gen. Lytro camera for $200-250. The bad news, the Lytro Illum is running at $1,600 currently. It’s definitely something to keep your eye on as they perfect this technology and the better cameras come down in price.
You can check out more about the cameras here or check out photos made with those cameras here.

1 Comment

1. Cierra Fitzgerald

Lytro cameras are definitely an interesting approach to photography. I watched the introductory video on the Lytro website in the link and I thought it was pretty neat. As the narrators address in the video, the Lytro camera really allows photos to come to life because as the viewer sees the change in focus, it makes them feel like they are physically witnessing the subject matter. This is a popular way to film scenes in videography as well because the use of rack focus allows the viewer to feel an emotional connection, create a story or “connect the dots” to figure out the vision that the videographer/photographer is trying to portray.