Photographer of the Week 06: Arbus

3 Commentsby   |  10.01.14  |  Photographer of the Week

Diane Arbus was an American photographer and writer noted for black-and-white square photographs of “deviant and marginal people.” Her found street portraits besides documenting the social, are very intriguing, depicting people of various classes, and backgrounds. (click on image to see more of her works)

Also, read this article from LOMOGRAPHY website.

1. Jennie Magner

This image is so striking to me! Something about the symmetry of the shot, the little girls’ eyes, and the contrast between their dresses, collars, hair, and headbands really draws me in. Diane Arbus’ approach to photographing “regular” people resulted in some really beautiful pictures, and I’m thankful she was open enough to look around and recognize opportunities for a great image such as this one!

2. Cierra Fitzgerald

Looking through Diane Arbus’ work makes me smile. I find the photos particularly intriguing because they are so out of the ordinary. I love that she photographs people that are out of the ordinary or creates unique compositions that you would not expect (like the low-angle shot of the baby with the double chin; it makes me feel as if it is about to open its eyes). Diane Arbus’ approach to photography in documenting people out of the ordinary is inspirational because she thinks outside of the box, which I would like to incorporate into my photographic skills.

3. Brenee Ewing

I find this image very creepy but yet fascinating!!! Diane’s work is amazing to me, having two identical twin girls stand next to each other, can see the similarities and the differences. Because everybody knows how hard it is to tell a twin fron another twin!!!:)