Summer Faculty Institute 2016

foodforthought copy

Given the centrality of food in Christian practice and imagination, what might it mean to “eat well” in our teaching, learning, and scholarship? How might eating as a metaphor enlarge our thoughts and shape the ways we organize our classrooms, plan our syllabi, prepare our lessons, write our articles, and live in our academic communities?

We invite you to join us for a 3- day Faculty Institute, May 16-18!  We’ll kick off with a keynote from Dr. Susan Felch, Director of the Center for Christian Scholarship at Calvin College —  “Food for Thought”  — on Monday at 11:30, and then host two concurrent workshops with four sessions each:
Monday (1:30-3:30)
Tuesday (9:00-11:00; 1:00-3:00)
Wednesday(9:00-11:00).

No cost for ACU faculty/adjuncts.

Cost for faculty outside the ACU system:
Keynote only $25 per person
Full Summer Faculty Institute $100 per person [Click here to register]
Group of 20 or more from one institution $75 per person (call for details)

The workshop descriptions are below.

Finding your Scholarly Vocation with Dr. Susan Felch
The purpose of this workshop is to develop your self-understanding as a scholar, to understand habits and practices that support continuing scholarly work, and to explore the breadth and benefits of Christian scholarship.  Each of the three workshop sessions will include a presentation, discussions, and the opportunity to share ongoing scholarly work. Short articles and other readings will be distributed in advance.

Creating Flipped Classrooms
Scores of studies have demonstrated that the flipped classroom structure is beneficial for student learning, especially for first generation and underrepresented students. This hands-on series of workshops will prepare you to deliver one of your classes using the flipped model and try it for yourself.

Please RSVP by April 29.

This entry was posted in Adams Blog, Summer Institute and tagged , , , , by David Christianson. Bookmark the permalink.

About David Christianson

My name is David Christianson. I've long felt that teaching was my calling, and have spent my career teaching both children and adults. Many of the most important lessons for teaching adults, I learned from teaching children (thankfully behavior management is much less of a concern with adults!). I have a B.S. in Communication from Oklahoma Christian University, an M.A. in Communication from ACU, and an M.Ed. in Education, also from ACU. My work with teaching children soon grew into training adults to do the same. As I did this for the Region 14 Education Service Center, I utilized online training, face-to-face training, and distance learning (video chat) to spread the message far and wide. I value technology as a great tool to enhance learning and to address the core of how we learn. I can help with online learning, I have lots of great tricks to use in the physical classroom as well! I feel absolutely blessed to now serve as an Instructional Designer for the Adams Center. If I have learned one thing in my educational service, it is that I love helping others to learn!

One thought on “Summer Faculty Institute 2016