ACU uses Canvas as the campus-wide learning management system, a cloud-based learning management system that ACU has used since Spring 2015. Here are some tutorials and instructions you might want to check.
Quicklink to Canvas:
- https://acu.instructure.com (It can also be re-directed from acu.edu/canvas)
- You can also find the link in “quick links” of MyACU.
You will need to use your regular ACU username and password to access Canvas. If you have difficulty, contact the HelpDesk.
Take a video course:
- You can learn to use Canvas by watching Linkedin Learning videos on Canvas. Check this page for instructions if you have issues logging into Linkedin Learn. If you continue to have issues, send a ticket to Team 55 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Requesting your Canvas course
- Cross-listing your Canvas courses
- Copying Canvas course from another course shell
- Sharing course content between colleagues
- Adding teaching assistants to your courses
- Using Blueprint courses to manage changes for multiple sections
- Semester Course Template
- Using Canvas Commons for Shared Resources
General Course Management
- Checking Canvas status
- Changing start/end dates for Canvas courses
- How to copy or send course content
- Changing Time Zones in Canvas
- Adding an orientation module in your online course
- Shift dates between semesters
- How to clone a course with different dates
- Giving students extra time/attempt for Canvas quizzes
- Changing quiz time for individual students
- Checking if students viewed your feedback
- Integrating Turnitin (for plagiarism detection) in Canvas
- Submit individual work to Turnitin
- Managing peer-reviewed assignments
- How to turn in assignments from Google Docs
- How to use Respondus to convert Word to Canvas tests
- Things to consider before an online test
- Automatically deduct for late submissions
- How to selectively release a quiz
- How to write good multiple-choice questions (Podcast)`
- Grading anything in Canvas
- How to drop a grade
- How to calculate total grade / change percentage to points
- Should I add extra credit?
- Adding extra credit
- How to excuse a grade
- Posting and muting grades from students
- How to hide the grade distribution from students
- Choosing Canvas content types
- How to embed a Google Slides presentation in Canvas
- Using ARC/Studio video in your course
- How to create a video and add it to Canvas
- Add a PowerPoint with narration in Canvas
- How to make a page into a to-do item
- Solving “not authorized to access” issue on a page
- Adding library materials directly in Canvas
- Creating ePortfolios in Canvas
- How to sign up for an ACU account with Zoom to use Zoom through Canvas
- Canvas Hacks for the Happy Grader
- How to check word count in Canvas
- Can I put my course on autopilot?
To get help with Canvas, click on “help” on the Canvas menu, you will then see a list of options for you to get help. When you contact anyone for help, unless you are on the phone, always include URL of the page you have a problem with. For instance: https://acu.instructure.com/courses/1825476/modules.
If you are on the phone, let the person on the phone know the identifying number of the course, in the example above, the identifying number would be: “1825476”. You can find it by going to “modules” of your course and then see the number in the address bar.
If you experience issues with a particular feature or function, you can also check Canvas Status for updates.
Getting instructional design support in using Canvas:
Canvas help is best for answering specific product-related questions (“How do I upload an assignment?” “Speedgrader keeps logging me out. What can I do?”). For instructional design questions (“Should I use quiz or assignment for this activity?””I am suspecting a student cheating in this exam, can I find out?””Does Canvas have a way for me to …”), contact Berlin Fang or Amy Boone.