Man Ray and the “Rayograph”

4 Commentsby   |  09.06.14  |  Student Posts

While doing a bit of research on photograms, I stumbled across some of Man Ray’s work, a 20th century artist. Man Ray’s involvement with photograms, which he later called “rayographs,” was apparently the result of a mistake Man Ray made while developing some photo paper. Although Man Ray did not create the concept of the photogram, it seems that he did bring them more popularity.

These two photograms (“rayographs”) are some of Man Ray’s work. I love the contrast of light and dark and the mysterious, beautiful quality these images have.

Image from http://theliteratelens.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/manray_two1.jpg

1. Michelle Lytle

I think the concept of photograms is incredible. You can essential capture anything under light and this method is so simplified and lets the photographer create unique images.

2. Caroline Taylor

It’s amazing how he created these essentially by accident. I love how photography is a trial and error process, but even with mistakes, it is still possible to end up with such a cool image in the end.

3. Taylor McDaniel

That’s one thing I love about art – it doesn’t always come from careful consideration, sometimes it’s a happy accident! The mark of a true artist is how you respond to those accidents. Man Ray could have easily disposed of these photos and called them mistakes, but instead he saw something new and called it art!

4. Brenee Ewing

I remember when we did this project,I really loved it!!! The concept of photograms I feel is the easiest way to get a photo, and if you’ know how to develop you own pictures it makes it fun and fast… I love this project the most so far because you basically can use anything,it’s crazy because it’s like a X-ray of the objects you choose.