Photographer of the Week 02: Morell

6 Commentsby   |  09.04.14  |  Photographer of the Week

From photographer Abelardo Morell—same author of A Book of Books—a gallery of hauntingly beautiful pictures excerpted from his new book, Camera Obscura, where we discover how much of the world can fit through a pinhole.

1. Cierra Fitzgerald

I love the slight optical illusion of this photograph. When I first saw this image I didn’t realize that it was a projection on a wall. It’s like the entire room is an enlarged pinhole camera. It would have been neat to see this in the classroom.

2. Amanda Shouse

Morell’s photographs are really interesting to look at. He has one where the Eiffel Tower is reflected in a room. It just seems so difficult to find just the right room to show the view desired and get permission to use that room and make the room into a camera. Realizing how difficult that could be makes the photos even more impressive.

3. Michelle Lytle

I think this photo is so unique because everyone looks at it a different way. It represents life in a sense because we all have the option to take whatever outlook on life we choose, positive or negative.

4. Caroline Levinson

Morell’s photo is beautiful because it displays the pinhole camera’s ability to accurately capture both detail and value. Not only is the pinhole camera an intelligent discovery, but it also, as displayed in this picture, beautifully captures and the range of values and gradients that exist in the visual world.

5. Jennie Magner

I found this image so intriguing, that I ended up on Morell’s website. The images he creates by merging the inside with the outside using camera obscura techniques are both beautiful and fascinating. It’s also incredible to me how clear the inverted images are.

6. Brenee Ewing

I agree with cierra, about how the viewer might not notice that it’s projected on a room wall. I feel like that makes this picture so intriguing , knowing it came from a tiny whole, and that it can be basically projected on any surface. Also, if was projected on a different surface could we tell right away what it is? I think that was the whole point of this piece,it was part of the artist illusion.