Foldered & Finished: Claude Adrian Guild Papers

The Claude Adrian Guild Papers (1939-1992) are processed and ready for researchers. The finding aid for the papers and digitized selections are now available on DigitalCommons@ACU.

The Unity of the Spirit sermon, Box 1, Folder 9, Claude Adrian Guild Papers, 1939-1992. Center for Restoration Studies MS #60. Abilene Christian University Special Collections and Archives, Brown Library. Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX.

Claude Adrian Guild was born in Buffalo, Montana, in 1916. He received a Bachelor of Arts from Abilene Christian College in 1939 and a Master of Arts in Religion from Pepperdine University in 1978. Guild was raised as member of the Lutheran Church but later converted and began serving as an evangelist for the Churches of Christ. He was baptized by J. C. Bailey in Radville, Saskatchewan. Guild preached for a number of Churches of Christ in Texas including Springtown Church of Christ in Springtown, and Riverside Church of Christ in Fort Worth. In Oregon Guild served at Southwest Church of Christ in Tigard and also held evangelistic meeting across the Western United States and Canada. Additionally, he spent time as a missionary in Australia, and served as the Vice President of Columbia Christian College (Portland, Oregon) and as the President of Fort Worth Christian College (Fort Worth, Texas). Guild died in 1996.

The “Tas-Dil” News, 24 May 1981, Series II, Box 1, Folder 7, Claude Adrian Guild Papers, 1939-1992. Center for Restoration Studies MS #60. Abilene Christian University Special Collections and Archives, Brown Library. Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX.

This collection includes sermons, scrapbooks, biographical information, notes from graduate studies, and a number of awards. The Australia – Bulletins and Advertisements folder and the red scrapbook provide insight into Guild’s work as a missionary in Australia. The scrapbooks provide the most biographical information and the most substantive correspondence.

Foldered & Finished: White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching Collection

The White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching Collection (1958-1972) is processed and ready for researchers. The finding aid for the papers and digitized selections are now available on DigitalCommons@ACU.

“The Pentateuch” outline, box 21, folder 14, White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching Collection, 1958-1972. Center for Restoration Studies MS#471. Abilene Christian University Special Collections and Archives, Brown Library. Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX.

White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching was founded in 1964 in West Monroe, Louisiana as part of a wave of schools of preaching founded in the 1960s in response to the lacuna that was preaching vacancies. The school of Preaching was pietistic in its theological approach. The curriculum was heavily bibliocentric with, essentially, all of its documents explicitly or implicitly pertaining to the biblical text. White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching closed in 1992, however, the latest documents within this collection date to 1972.

“Bible Introduction,” box 1, folder 2, White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching Collection, 1958-1972. Center for Restoration Studies MS#471. Abilene Christian University Special Collections and Archives, Brown Library. Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX.

This collection contains documents from the White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching which includes syllabi, lesson plans, lecture manuscripts, sermons, polemics and apologetic materials. Materials included within this collection were used for classes at the school of preaching. Most documents within this collection are either loosely exegetical or homiletic materials concerning the biblical text. A smaller portion of the collection is devoted to practical theological matters concerning the Churches of Christ as well as apologetic and polemic materials. The most prolific contributors to this collection of texts include Ed Sanders, William H. Smith, Harold G. Taylor, and J.J. Turner. Other notable authors whose documents are included within this collection are J.D. Bales, L.V. Pfeifer, and Paul C. Witt.

On the Shelf: New items added to Center for Restoration Studies collections, June 2019

In June our colleagues in Technical Services and Cataloging added 82 items to the Center for Restoration Studies, University Archives, and Rare Books collections.  Among the 82 new items are books, periodical issues (bound and unbound), while others are tracts and a few A/V items. Most are new to us, a handful are second copies, and about a dozen small sets of loose or unbound issues of periodicals are now visible in the catalog.  These were published by local congregations, but function like periodicals, so we have cataloged them that way.  As you look through the list you will see several items published or printed by the University.  It is good to have these now catalogued and available for research. Further, the work performed on some items reflects original cataloging, which is a tremendous contribution to knowledge about information resources from and about the Stone-Campbell Movement.

The Library in Daisy Hall.  Jesse Sewell reads a book at a table surrounded by shelves of books.

Our goal is to build a comprehensive research-level collection of print materials by, for, and about the Stone-Campbell Restoration Movement.  But beyond assembly and preservation, a collection should be discoverable by those who need the information.  Collecting and preserving is only part of our task; those objects must be described and made available.  Thanks to the close and careful work of our colleagues upstairs, who describe our holdings, these materials are now discoverable. By discoverable I mean a patron can utilize our online catalog (such as by searching by author, or title, or subject) to find these materials.

82 new items…cataloged, shelved, and ready for research: Continue reading