The Waynai Bible was hand printed by Louis Waynai of Los Angeles, California, using rubber letters. He began in 1928, one letter at a time, and completed printing in 1930. The Bible was purchased in 1947 by Rosen Heights Church of Christ in Ft. Worth, Texas. In 1956, the congregation donated it to ACU, where it has been on exhibit in the Library for 57 years.
In 1989, Willa B Patterson (’34) funded and Jim Mitchell (’69) constructed a custom oak case for the Bible. In 2007, the Bible was moved to its permanent location in the Stanley Reading Room on the Library’s upper floor.
In April of 2013, the Library agreed to loan the Bible to the Green Collection of Oklahoma City to be displayed as part of its touring exhibit of rare Biblical texts called “Passages,” currently showing in Colorado Springs, Colorado. As part of the loan agreement, the Waynai Bible will also be exhibited at the Museum of the Bible, to be opened by the Green Collection in Washington, DC, in 2017. The Library is grateful to the Green Collection for providing much-needed expert repair and conservation for the Bible.
Click here to view the poster we created with this information on it. It includes a map and is currently located in the Gaines B. Stanley, Sr. Theological Reading Room.